Whoever said dry hops only add aroma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
never dry hopped with leaf hops! Damn, my beer tastes like fall leaves. Is this normal? It's only been 5 day's and my beautiful pilsner tastes like a leaf. Does this fade? I think i'm going back to pellets from now on.:mad:

That's never happened to me. I wonder if your hops were aged or not properly stored at the store because that doesn't seem right at all.

I just opened them, stored at 4F in a freezer. It's bad, i'm going to yank them out. I actually put some of the leaf on my tongue, and that's just how my beer tastes. I hope it will fade, this was supposed to be my killer summer beer.

I've tasted a very green DIPA at a commercial brewery (in the bright tank for 4 days) and it had a bit of a leafy hop taste to it, it does fade in to something a bit better but I really enjoy the taste.

I have purchased quite a bit of leaf in recent months and prior to this I pretty much used pellet exclusively. I have been using leaf in both the boil and dry hop. There is a bit of a bite to the leaf initially when you use it to dry hop but it does dissipate and it becomes quite nice and mellow. Give it time and you will love it. Montanaandy

I have purchased quite a bit of leaf in recent months and prior to this I pretty much used pellet exclusively. I have been using leaf in both the boil and dry hop. There is a bit of a bite to the leaf initially when you use it to dry hop but it does dissipate and it becomes quite nice and mellow. Give it time and you will love it. Montanaandy

I'm holding you to that.:mug:

It will drop out in a few weeks. I notice that taste when I drink my IPA green but after 3-5 weeks its mostly gone.

Did you dry hop cold?

Of the three beers I've dry-hopped cold they've all turned out kinda grassy/leafy/vegetal with not as much good aroma as they should. Every other beer I've dry hopped warm and they've been fine. I know some people have good results dry hopping cold but I'm staying away from it.

Did eventually fade to a tolerable level but unfortunately was never perfect.

I've dry hopped with whole leaf every time except one with pellets. Never had a leafy taste. Last 2 IPAs, I dry hopped with 2.5 oz. whole leaf hops cold in the keg, and they were sublime. No grassy or leafy taste at all and I left the hops in for ~3 weeks.

I've found that happens with leaf hops that have been picked too early. Same thing would happen with hops picked too early and turned into pellets.

Last time it happened I pulled the hops after a few days as I try to taste during the process. It took a month for it to fade and yet others who drank the beer had no issues with the grassy taste at all.

Latest posts

Back