A series of batch sparging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first mash (partial mash) and I just want to make sure I have a good procedure down for batch sparging. Let me know if I'm wrong or if you have a better way of doing it.

1.) After I've mashed for 1 hour, I vorlauf and drain the first runnings into the brew kettle. Do I then add the remaining water that will get me up to my boil volume and drain that into the brew kettle as well?

2.) Ive been told that even though the grains are wet from the first runoff, I should use extra water to make up for further water absorption by the grains, what amount should I use?

3.) After mixing the grain and the sparge water addition, should I let it sit before the runoff? I've heard of brewers letting it sit for 20 minutes before doing another vorlauf/runoff.

4.) lastly, should I be worried about the grains over-converting or is that just a concern with a lengthy fly sparging method?

Cheers! :mug:

1. There's a practical limit to how much water you run through the grain in total (both mash runoff and sparge) before you start affecting the PH drastically. There are plenty of opinions on what amount that is but I think 1 gallon per pound is reasonable. So, if you mash at a 2qt/lb ration, the most I'd sparge with is 2qt per pound additional. Any additional volume you want in the kettle can be water.

2. Not necessary.

3. Let it sit for maybe 5 minutes but definitely make sure you stir the sparge water in really well.

4. No. It's definitely a fly sparger's concern.

1. There's a practical limit to how much water you run through the grain in total (both mash runoff and sparge) before you start affecting the PH drastically. There are plenty of opinions on what amount that is but I think 1 gallon per pound is reasonable. So, if you mash at a 2qt/lb ration, the most I'd sparge with is 2qt per pound additional. Any additional volume you want in the kettle can be water.

2. Not necessary.

3. Let it sit for maybe 5 minutes but definitely make sure you stir the sparge water in really well.

4. No. It's definitely a fly sparger's concern.
+1 and batch sparging is easy as pie.

mash, vorlauf, drain, fill, vorlauf, drain, done,,,,, for a PM anyway

If I'm doing a 1 QT / lb. of grain mash, should I mash-out? I heard you should for thick mashes.

I mash at 1 qt/lb for most beers (English style pale ales), and found that a mash out increased my efficiency by 10% when fly sparging. When batch sparging, it didn't seem to make any difference.
I also agree completely with BOBBY_M's answer

-a.

I know but it produces more dextrines and I want a fuller body in my IPA so 1qt/lb is perfect.
just mash at a higher temp. you'll get the fuller body you want and have much less of a potential issue with dough balls

Back