saaz hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on using saaz hops for a hefeweizen ..... My gut tells me to use hallertauer but I was given advice from a friend to try saaz but I am more familiar with saaz as a bohemian lager style hop. what does everyone here think ? for what is worth here's a simple hefeweizen recipe i'm doing ( very simple )

5.5lbs bohemian floor malter pilsner
4.5 lbs german wheat malt
.5 lbs rice hulls
1oz saaz ????? or halertauer
1 vial wlp300 yeast
1lb orange blossom honey

single infusion mash at 152 60 minutes
batch sparge
6.0 gallon boil for 60 minutes
5 gallon post boil

1.055 OG
13ish IBU's
4 Srm
expected FG 1.010
apx. 5.7 abv

I think Saaz would make a delicious Hefe.

German hefeweizen is usually about the yeast flavor, low AA hops should not make that much of a difference.

Saaz made me a good oaked amber,they are suppose to be the norm for lagers/pilsners (wish i still had more of them).Using them in an amber type beer was an experiment for me and at the time didnt know really what they were used in.But it was good.Ive also made my first lager without any noble hops, i used warrior,because it was described as a clean bittering hop,so ill see in another month or so how this one works.Hope you like this in a wheat it sounds good ill probably try it as a few of my wheats were not that great problably due to the hops i used in them,ill probably try sazz or spalt/ opal next.Hope it turns out great.
They work well together use both or either if you want

Saaz made me a good oaked amber,they are suppose to be the norm for lagers/pilsners (wish i still had more of them).Using them in an amber type beer was an experiment for me and at the time didnt know really what they were used in.But it was good.Ive also made my first lager without any noble hops, i used warrior,because it was described as a clean bittering hop,so ill see in another month or so how this one works.Hope you like this in a wheat it sounds good ill probably try it as a few of my wheats were not that great problably due to the hops i used in them,ill probably try sazz or spalt next.Hope it turns out great
hey just a fyi I just did a Imperial Ipa with warrior and I love them !!!! very strong bittering hop high alpha's 15% or so with a low cohumulone content definatlly will bitter your beer well.

Nice. i just used warrior in my double or Imperial RedRye Ipa.Got a 1.082 kinda accidentally and also use some thai palm sugar, used coopers ale yeast for the first time and needed a blow off tube- i should have known better i think the simple sugars do it to the yeast. What 0g did you get? I accidnetally made a barley wine a while ago also,ended up not bittering it enough because i only guessed how much LME i had left,that is turning out great also and used muntons gold, even for the first time, its not too bad.
I just read midwests hop descriptions and what your using-it says hallertau(bittering/aroma) for wheats,saaz for bohemien pilsners. I would use both.

Latest posts

Back