Question on Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hello,

Why does the priming sugar added during bottling cause carbonation, but not the sugar frm the wort during fermantation?

During Fermantation, the yeast has eaten all the fermentable sugar.. The sugar add at bottling is to give the remaining yeast food so they can fart in your bottle and cause the carbonation.

The Sugar during fermentation is carbonating, that's where you get your airlock bubbles from.

mayday1019 said:
Hello,

Why does the priming sugar added during bottling cause carbonation, but not the sugar frm the wort during fermantation?

CO2 is produced during all phases of fermentation, in huge amounts while you beer is in the primary fermenter. It's simply allowed to escape to atmosphere.

Thanks guys...I am brewing my first real batch now (meaning not a Mr. Beer kit). It s a Sam Ale clone...wish me luck!

budbo said:
The sugar add at bottling is to give the remaining yeast food so they can fart in your bottle and cause the carbonation.

:eek:
I will never see carbonation the same way again.

About half of the fermentation sugars become CO2 and half C2H5OH. Yeast farts and vomitose!

TWolf10 said:
:eek:
I will never see carbonation the same way again.

yeah, yeast are nasty when you think about it. I've always thought of it as urine, not vomit.

We let fungus float around farting CO2 and pissing alcohol, right in our beer. then we line up to drink it.

-walker

I think I'm more partial to the piss...

But it sure tastes weird without the farts!!

Oh and - If you could seal your primary fermentor, the beer would carbonate then. But you would have to use a vessel that could handle some serious pressure.

Reminds me of why I drink beer instead of water. It has to do with the way fish procreate in the streams.

Latest posts

Back