Beersmith and sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Is the area for equipment really the only place to put sparge water? I don't anything to put there really. Just see Lautering and Top Up to Boiler, Lauter Tun Deadpsace, and Top up water for kettle.

Is there any place in the software to put sparge water, like if it's treated, what the pH is, what the temp is, the amount of water, etc etc? Looked around the software a lot and simply don't see this. Seems it'd be in the recipe somewhere since the sparge water amount and treatment may vary.

It calculates the amount of sparge water based on the metrics of your brew: length of boil, equipment profile,etc. I am not aware of a "water profiles" feature in BeerSmith.

Where do you see it calculating the sparge water volume? I don't see that anywhere.

There's a water profiles area, but it's mineral content and such for cities. Guess I can use that and put notes but it's not ideal.

Mostly it's okay with me. But to even *See* the sparge amount you have to be viewing the recipe down in that recipe view box below where they're listed or in a separate window. Then it shows you how much sparge water. But it doesn't have any area to enter the pH of the sparge water if you're correcting it to a specific pH or any area to enter what kind of water you're using or anything like that. At least I don't see it. Only lets you put the temp, then it calculates the amount of sparge water based on your mash tun and how much water is already in the mash etc.

I'd rather have a separate little box in there for sparge water. Sure, it'd be nice if it still calculated the volume but you should be able to uncheck that and enter the amount yourself if you want. And to be able to enter any treatments you did to the sparge water.

Click on the details button under your mash profile section. You can enter your pH there.

You can also play around with your water under Tools in the left frame then click on Water Profile.

Click on the details button under your mash profile section. You can enter your pH there.

You can also play around with your water under Tools in the left frame then click on Water Profile.

That's the mash pH, actually.

I've messed around with the water profile stuff. I guess I'm going to have to list it in that way. Again, though, this is not ideal.

Say I used lactic acid to treat the water. I'm going to have to list that as an ingredient (under misc.) in the main body of the recipe itself even if I only treated the sparge water. There should be an area to list water under sparging. And for the water, there should be an area to list any pH adjustments done using acids. In my opinion.

Great software. I love it, so don't get me wrong. But I think some stuff like this could be clearer and easier.

Back