Is Fermentation Complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip1337

Reaction score
My OG was 1.088 and I am aiming for a FG of 1.10. I am using Safale - 05 yeast. My beer has been fermenting since june 30. My question is I took a reading 4 days ago (july 8) and it was 1.024. 4 days later (july 12) the reading is till 1.024, yet the bubbler keeps bubbling about 4 to 5 times a day. I don't want to believe fermentation is complete, but the reading doesn't change. I want to know why the bubbler keeps burping? The primary fermenter does not get moved nor bumped. Any thoughts?

An airlock will bubble for all kinds of reasons. Change in temps, barometeric pressure, and any number of other reasons. A bubbling airlock is not an indication that your beer is still fermenting. 1.024 is a bit high, but I find that us 05 is good at reaching full attenuation. I'm guessing that your beer is finished, but it's hard to say without knowing your recipe and process...

Temperature changes can cause CO2 to come out of suspension in the brew. The CO2 was trapped while the yeast released it while eating sugars and farting... How did you determine a FG of 1.010 (assuming that's what you meant)?? To hit your stated target FG, you'd need about 88% attenuation.

Post up the recipe (include if it's extract, partial mash, or all grain) with all the important information (mash times and temps if PM or AG)...

As things stand right now. you're at about 73% attenuation. Which is within the realm of 'normal'...

Thanks for the help. I know airlocks cant be trusted. I am fermenting an amber ale and the air lock is doing nothing, but it is happily fermenting. I will post the recipe later tonight, its really good. I mashed at a high temperature for an IPA because I wanted it to be a little sweeter on the finished end. I probably have some sugar that just won't ferment remaining in my primary due to the high mash temp.

Latest posts

Back