Barley Crusher (Rubber ring around roller?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idigg

Reaction score
Hey guys :mug:

I just picked up a new 7lb barley crusher. It has a black rubber ring around one of the rollers, what the heck is that for? Do I remove it or let it be? It didn't come with any instructions on adjusting the rollers.

TIA - Justin

It just helps the other roller spin. Its not really necessary and will eventually fall off with wear. I ended up cutting mine off as it slid down to the bearing and jammed things up.

I lost mine on my last batch... found it in the crushed grain. I think it helps both rollers to roll. my efficiency took a dive on that batch and the only variable (of note) was the o-ring breaking.

Hey guys :mug:

I just picked up a new 7lb barley crusher. It has a black rubber ring around one of the rollers, what the heck is that for? Do I remove it or let it be? It didn't come with any instructions on adjusting the rollers.

TIA - Justin

Just got my Crusher a few days ago from hopdawgs.ca. The rubber ring must not be important like the instructions ?? Never got either.

Pennsyltucky said:
I lost mine on my last batch... found it in the crushed grain. I think it helps both rollers to roll. my efficiency took a dive on that batch and the only variable (of note) was the o-ring breaking.

Come to think of it, my first AG batch was 80% and since then I haven't hit over 75%, but my crush still seems fine. As I'm nearing the end I watch the rollers and they both go fine.

Cut mine off then read directions...??? Oh well ran 1lb grain through it looked great. I'm pleased looked better than my LHB mill.

The O-Ring is there so after initial assembly, they can test it and see both wheels turn. Obviously they don't run grain through it, so they need a way to see both rollers turn.

Of all the silly things.... Then why even include it in the first place?

Because of this:

If I'm not mistaken that black ring is for assembly and has no use once the crusher is put together.

And this:

The O-Ring is there so after initial assembly, they can test it and see both wheels turn. Obviously they don't run grain through it, so they need a way to see both rollers turn.

The o-ring is only for assembly and QC at Barley Crusher. It is in no way meant to aid in the crushing of the grain.

Latest posts

Back