RIMS Tube question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Why would the base of a heating element rust in a RIMS setup? Many brewers advocate a RIMS tube that you can disassemble so no water is left inside between brewing. The reason cited is rust, but I'm struggling to understand this.

Isn't screwing the element into a RIMS tube no different than having it screwed into and constantly immersed in water in your hot water tank?

Thanks for the information, guys.

water heaters have a sacrificial anode in them (often made of zinc, magnesium or aluminum). The purpose of that anode is to corrode from the electrolytic reaction and save the rest of the tank and element from corrosion.

RIMS tubes have no sacrificial anode, so the first thing that will corrode is the base of the element.

Also keep in mind that rust requires water and oxygen. While water has some free oxygen in it things rust at a much clower rate when theyare fully submersed in water. It will rust much faster with some water and some air.

Am I correct in assuming that draining the RIMS tube after each brew session and cleaning will stave off most rust?

Yup..........Thats one of the many reasons why some of us have made or purchased triclover RIMS tubes. You can remove the element easily and cleaning out the tube is a lead pipe cinch.

I put a valve below mine and it seems to drain right out, though the tri-clover is pretty darn nice. I'd love to check out and clean my element, but I don't feel like dealing with unscrewing it!

Back