Reusing Iodophor Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAVOWSKI

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post, Holla:ban:

Im into my 3rd batch and in an effort to save water, as far as cleaning and sanitizing is concerned, I have been reusing my water and just adding more iodophor when the color disipates.

I havent had any issues so far and was wondering if there would be any ill effects down the road. I dont keep the water for long but I will transfer from carboy to carboy when sanitizing and will use the water to sanitized equip on brew days.

I may keep sanitizing water for a couple weeks by just adding more iodophor, or toss if I feel the need.

Brew On :mug:

Hey guys,

This is my first post, Holla:ban:

Im into my 3rd batch and in an effort to save water, as far as cleaning and sanitizing is concerned, I have been reusing my water and just adding more iodophor when the color disipates.

I havent had any issues so far and was wondering if there would be any ill effects down the road. I dont keep the water for long but I will transfer from carboy to carboy when sanitizing and will use the water to sanitized equip on brew days.

I may keep sanitizing water for a couple weeks by just adding more iodophor, or toss if I feel the need.

Brew On :mug:

i think most on here would agree that its just not worth the risk... dump it and start over. i buy 1 gallon jugs of distilled, add in star san with an oral syringe, and it should keep indefinitely.

i think keeping iodophor around and just adding more is playing with fire... the concentration getting too high would be my worry.

I understand if I keep adding iodophor to water that still has the color, that would increase the concentration. But once the color disipates, doesnt that mean the iodophor is effectivly gone?

Just to be clear I do not add Iodophor after trasfering to carboys or other sanitizing buckets. I only add more when the water turns clear.

Let the education begin.

I'm kinda with you BEAVOWSKI. If it looses it's color, add more. I'm not in the habit of doing that, but I don't see the issue.

Back