year old smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrduna01

Reaction score
So I noticed at a local liquor store that dabbles in homebrew supplies had a box of some 50 smack packs labeled Expired, Discard. Most were about a yr old. I thought of making an offer on them. 50 cent a piece? Is it even worth my time?

If the are going to throw them away ask them if you can get them for free. If not then offer them a few bucks.

You can probabaly step them up a few times to get them where your need the cell counts to be. If you can culture yeast from bottles of commercial beer, then you can grow yeast from these.

beergolf said:
If the are going to throw them away ask them if you can get them for free. If not then offer them a few bucks.

You can probabaly step them up a few times to get them where your need the cell counts to be. If you can culture yeast from bottles of commercial beer, then you can grow yeast from these.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Only thing is they are weird strains I've never heard of. But I may try and get them just to expirement.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Only thing is they are weird strains I've never heard of. But I may try and get them just to expirement.

If you can get them for free or cheap it could be a fun experiment. Do some small batches if they are something really off the wall.

Do a small batch and if it comes out good then you van save the yeast for future batches.

Back