Semi-BIAB brewing today Crush and Bed&Bath bag pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
Going with an American Amber I've been discussing with guys on the forum. Semi BIAB as the grains are going in a bag and then in a cooler for the mash because I think I can control temps and stir more easily that way. Then into the kettle for a sparge. I have been getting squat for efficiency and ran the already crushed grains thru the Corona, giving my tired old bones a pretty good workout. Pics of crush below and I sure hope it gets me above the 60% level I had last brew day. Using the Bed and Bath laundry bag for the first time and it is an exact fit for the Gatorade cooler I am using. About twice as long as it could be, but no matter a nice fit otherwise. Pic of it to. Wish me luck.

20120611_162551.jpg

20120611_161430.jpg

Pretty much in shock right now as I apparently just managed 89.6 mash efficiency with the above methods. Never, never been close to that. Waiting for post boil gravity before I jump through any hoops.

I am not alone.
This is the way I do my BIAB brews too and it works a lot better than lifting out all that heavy,hot sticky grain.
Wish I could get that high!

Had to dilute with about 2/3's gallon water to get down to 1.054 O.G.

So what's happening here? Are you mashing all of your grains in the cooler (and using your boil kettle as a HLT)? Are you then moving the grain bag back to the boil kettle for a sparge, then adding the liquid from your cooler and then starting the boil? Where's mashout happening?

Sincerely,

A Noob

Exactly. Mash in cooler, heat water in BK for sparge, drain bag in cooler, transfer to kettle for 15 min. at 170 for mash out, stir like crazy and dunk several times, drain on the cooler lid until I added the first runnings to the kettle and then back in the cooler on a small pan and I added about a half gallon cold water on the grains in the bag and squeezed the bag with a small pan lid, then added the final bit of liquor to the boil. Ended up with a little over 6.5 gallons of wort at an amazing 1.054 pre-boil gravity from an 11 pound grain bill. Had to add water after the boil to get the gravity back down in the 1.054 range I wanted for the style. Probably going to screw my hops all to hell. May have to add some tea into fermenter.

Back