Southern Brewer Considering A Refrigerator Thermostat Probe Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgeofblade

Reaction score
I've brewed my first three batches so far and I'm taking a homebrew course to learn some of the hands-on bits I might be missing between YouTube, HBT, the Homebrewer's Bible, and the instructional video from Coopers.

And of course, from my taste buds, and my taste buds tell me... I need to do a MUCH better job of controlling my fermentation temperatures. It's hot in Texas, and I have to get away from the upper ranges of my fermentations to once and for all kill this sharp, cidery crap I keep brewing.

I don't get a lot of control over what the thermostat in the house says (married men, can I get a "UH HUH"), so I'm considering using my Christmas gift credit at the local homebrew store to purchase a fridge thermostat probe and plug cutoff for the garage fridge... which is 100% dedicated to beer.

Locally, I can pick one up for $80. Is that reasonable, or should I save the credit for more reasonably priced consumables?

Anyone had any issues using using one of these probes to control temps on, oh, say, a 5 gallon batch? Do I just crank up the fridge to max-chill when on the thermostat? What about CO2 buildup inside the fridge? ...and anything else you think might be useful.

Oh... and I heard that the yeast action is thermogenic, which makes sense, and I need to set the thermostat a little lower than what I actually want... or do I need to set lower and raise it a little as the yeast slows down.

I've brewed my first three batches so far and I'm taking a homebrew course to learn some of the hands-on bits I might be missing between YouTube, HBT, the Homebrewer's Bible, and the instructional video from Coopers.

And of course, from my taste buds, and my taste buds tell me... I need to do a MUCH better job of controlling my fermentation temperatures. It's hot in Texas, and I have to get away from the upper ranges of my fermentations to once and for all kill this sharp, cidery crap I keep brewing.

I don't get a lot of control over what the thermostat in the house says (married men, can I get a "UH HUH"), so I'm considering using my Christmas gift credit at the local homebrew store to purchase a fridge thermostat probe and plug cutoff for the garage fridge... which is 100% dedicated to beer.

Locally, I can pick one up for $80. Is that reasonable, or should I save the credit for more reasonably priced consumables?

Anyone had any issues using using one of these probes to control temps on, oh, say, a 5 gallon batch? Do I just crank up the fridge to max-chill when on the thermostat? What about CO2 buildup inside the fridge? ...and anything else you think might be useful.

Oh... and I heard that the yeast action is thermogenic, which makes sense, and I need to set the thermostat a little lower than what I actually want... or do I need to set lower and raise it a little as the yeast slows down.

You can find the analog and digital controllers much cheaper on ebay. Takes a little wiring though. Nothing complicated at all. There is a ton of threads here on wiring these for every conceivable application. But yes, the basic premise is to crank the fridge to max, and let the controller take over. The only issue I have in my fermentation chamber is condensation. But even that is easily remedied with a dessicant. Placing the temperature probe in a thermowell in the fermenter is done, as is hanging it in the compartment. I suspend mine in a buffering liquid in a yeast container. I set my controller about 5 degrees lower than desired fermentation temperature to account for the difference.

Thanks for cluing me on these. I'm seeing I can get a fully-featured digital thermostat for what they want to charge for an analog, if I just shop around a little.

My primary is the plastic Coopers fermenter that came with my initial kit, and I love it, from the wide mouth to the nice slotted tap. I'd like to use a thermowell stopper, but that seems more appropriate for a carboy, so I might just hang it in the fridge.

It also should be noted that I'm aiming for ale temps... the discussion of ferming in a fridge may evoke lager right off the bat. My intended use of a fridge is more to counter the heat in Texas and the bureaucratic process I have to go through to change the thermostat in the house... and get no one to touch it for weeks at a time. Should I actually be thinking about a brew shack?

I know I'm kinda going all over the place, but I'm trying to nail down a solution and get it right the first time... so this last batch will be the last batch I screw up because of temps.

Yeah - you can find them cheaper than $80 on eBay or even here in the classifieds, and I highly recommend them for controlling fermentation temps. You usually don't have to set them lower than the desired temp - just make it so the probe is touching the outside of your fermenter, and it should do a pretty good job of keeping it at the temp you want. I use a fridge & controller for my ales and it's definitely improved my beer.

I can also definitely recommend controlling your fermentation temps. It made my beer much better. I would suggest a chest freezer instead of a frig. They are much more energy efficient than a frig and they can be had on craigslist for fairly cheap.

Ah, a chest freezer. I should rig it to play the Legend of Zelda fanfare every time I open it.

Shay, I'm going to have to go with the fridge because that's what I already have, though I can see the advantages of a chest freezer. The fridge is a french door fridge, so it will only fit one 5 gal fermenter at a time.

I'm keeping the fridge in the garage, like so many of us. Are there times when the ambient temp doesn't get high enough, or is too low simply preferable to too high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back