460bil yeast cells needed - 5L starter or step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need approx. 460billion yeast cells in 5 days, starting from one wyeast smack pack, American Ale II. I'm using yeastcalc.com, stir plate (Zainesheff).

If I went the step method with my 2L flask, I could start tonight (Monday night) with 1.5L, give it 24hrs, and place the flask in the fridge tomorrow night (Tuesday night). On wednesday night, I would decant, warm-up, and pitch another 1.5L of fresh wort. Thursday night I would place the flask in the fridge, and be ready to pitch on Friday night into my 10gal of wort.

Does this schedule seem alright?

OR, I was thinking of making 1 very large starter, approx. 5L. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this though. I need to experiment with some larger containers I have this evening.

Either way, I need to brew by Friday night to meet a deadline I have for the finished product. I know this is poor planning on my part, and I should of started building the yeast up sooner, but other things got in the way...

Thanks

I hear ya on the planning thing. That will work as long as you trust the yeast to ferment out and drop that quickly.

If I needed that much yeast I'd probably just make a gallon and a half of lager and use the cake. I'd think you could ferment most of that out in 5 days. Transfer to 3 growlers for a d rest then lager each growler in the fridge. No reason to waste all that time and money when another dollar's worth of hops will net you 15 beers

you mean just an all DME, 1oz cascade hopped ale? Interesting. That's basically a drinkable version of the 5L starter I was thinking off. I was just concerned with aeration, as I"m not sure If I can get that large of a vessel on my stir plate.

Also, I guess I could just use two packets of dry yeast, in a pinch. I just can't justify spending $12+ on two wyeast packs.

Dme is expensive too... for a 5 l starter you're looking at over a pound of dme. I'll do up to a 2 liter non stepped starter... beyond that (time and money) its worth it to just make a gallon or two of something drinkable on the stovetop.

A large starter is really just a small batch.

Rather than beat yourself up on this, dry yeast might be an easy way out as well.

Yea, I think that may be wise. I usually brew 5gal batches, and then collect the yeast to make 10gal batches for a while. Problem is I haven't brewed in over 3 months, and I'm concerned with the viability of the yeast that's been sitting in my fridge for 4+months.

I would just do the 2 steps, let the first step ride until Wednesday morning, cool and decant in the evening and do your next step.

Don't overthink it either. I'm guilty of getting into that mindset sometimes. Make as big a starter as you can to start. If it doesn't ferment out in a day, let it go for two, cold crash for two and pitch a bunch of healthy cells. You'll still be ahead of most brewers out there...

Interesting read here http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/01/starter-cell-growth.html

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/no-more-wasteful-yeast-starters.html

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2013/02/cell-growth-as-function-of.html

If you're using a stir plate, the wort will be oxidized- great for yeast growth, not for drinking it- maybe if you drink it super quick if it isn't oxidized in fermentation.

Go as big as you can. Each step significantly reduces growth. I've used a glass 1G juice jug on a plate without issues, just at a slower speed.

Latest posts

Back