do you need to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
so i have a big 90 litre plastic water tank and this summer i plan on filling it up withapple juice for cider, it has a tap maybe 3 inches from the bottom, any way ionly have 1 of these tanks and the ciders iv done before i have always racked 2 times, will it affect the taste if i just leave it in the same tank for fermentation and aging???? say 3 months in all?:tank:

Yes it will likely taste different than if you racked twice. not necessarily bad, but likely drier and more acids and tannins than you would have otherwise, so will probably take longer to mellow. Of greater concern is the oxygen permeability of your plastic water tank. Depending on what exactly this is made of, there is a chance that the cider will start to oxidize after the primary fermentation

Depends on how thick the plastic is. I'd look for some other secondary containers. It also depends on how long you want it to keep. Oxidatation during the secondary fermentation will reduce the amount of time that it keeps before spoilage, but if you drink it all within a few months you wont likely have a problem.

Back