Honey Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scwitt

Reaction score
I noticed that a few people have tried to do kits with honey and have noted that it thins and drys out the beer. I am curious if anyone has had any luck actually imparting the honey flavor and how it was done (added with the priming sugar vs. at flame out etc...)
Thanks,
Scwitt

I think if you added any significant amount of honey in addition to priming sugar right before bottling you would be setting yourself up for bottlebombs.

I recently added 2lbs at flameout. It was a fairly heavy beer (OG 1.072) but finished at 1.010. Pretty serious attenuation for S-04 which is not known for particularly high attenuation.

I tasted a bit at bottling, and could definitely taste a bit of the honey. I think boiling will certainly drive off a lot of flavor.

definitely don't boil the honey. honey is fairly antiseptic by itself...botulism spores are about the biggest risk, and they won't do anything in beer/wort...its the wrong environment.

add once you've killed the flame, or even after it cools a bit.

ive used honey on several occasions. I have an endless free supply (my grandpa use to keep bees and still knows a ton of people that do) anyway..........It seems to be that you can hardly ever impart the honey flavor unless you use a big amount. Honey by itself is almost 100% fermentable that means it almost disapears during fermentation. I have read some on brewing with honey and it is notorious for leaving off flavors. I have also read that using honey malt will impart a honey flavor. That mixed with honey and i think you have a honey beer of magical proportions on your hands.

In my honey pale ales, I have two methods for adding the honey. Late in the boil <1m or into the secondary after being brought quickly to 175*F and flash cooled in the freezer. The first method leaves the beer slightly dryer than the second, but both have a decent honey flavor (fermented honey is slightly different tasting than regular honey). Either way, I steep 1lb of honey malt along with 1 lb of crystal 40, then add 6-7 lbs of extract depending on whether I get it in the jug or two cans and add 2-3 lbs of local honey to it. Its usually a damn big beer 1.072-1.078OG

The best way to get a honey flavor in beer is with honey malt. 0.5 to 1 pound adds a nice touch of honey flavor. If you want to add honey also then add it after the beer has cooled and/or in replace of the priming sugar. Boiling or heating the honey just drives of the aroma and flavor and is unnecessary. If you replace the priming sugar remember that honey is 20% water so you have to use 25% more honey than you would corn sugar.

Honey is completely fermentable so it will make your beer dryer and thinner, like adding sugar to Belgian beers. This works great if you are making a big beer but can leave a smaller beer feeling watery.

Craig

I've just begun brewing but I've made four braggots in as many months. I add as much, or more, honey as other fermentables and have added anywhere from 4-6 lbs per batch at either flameout or in the secondary. The honey ferments very well but it leaves it's own aroma rather more than flavor. I haven't detected any off flavors and both the aroma and flavor is very subtle. I usually detect the most honey nose during the last few sips. Possibly due to the empty glass being filled with the aroma or possibly the warming of the braggot toward the end of the glass, or both. Darker honey provides more flavor and aroma.

Back