Fermention chamber help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wester101

Reaction score
Hi all, i have a full size fridge bottom frezzer i plan on buying a two stage thermostat (not sure how to wire them yet if anyone has sugestions on an easy one i would be open thanks) I have a mini heater that will be in the fridge, i am going to age and ferment. My question is will the fridge have warmer temps towards the top because heat rises? I was trying to decide if i want the fermenting beer or the ageing beer at the bottom of the fridge? thanks any oppinons are appreciated. thanks

so u have a picture or a model number of the fridge? and the thermostat you plan on using? lots of people here use "love temp controllers." u could possibly use a household thermostat and wire it via a relay that would handle at least 10 amps (or more depending on the load of ur appliances). your question about temps rising is somewhat true but not very noticable. you may see about an 8th of a degree difference if your fridge is decently insulated. if u simply used 2 seperate thermostats, one for the heater and one for the fridge... that should work fine. if, say, your set temp was 70 degrees on both thermostats, the fridge thermostat would only cut on if you reached higher than 70 and the heater would only cut on if you were below 70. they wouldn't run at the same time. just my 2cents

I plan on getting this for a fermentation/kegerator build. Love Dual Stage

Dual stage setup means you can control the fridge and a heating element.

Check out this thread for wiring.

I hope that helps, should give you at least one option. As far as the heat rising, I'm sure there would be a difference, but as long as the temp probe is at the location of what you are wanting to control (ie on or near the fermenter) it won't matter.

Yes, the temps at the top will be higher than at the bottom. How much of difference will depend on the size of the fridge, etc. If it's really bothersome, you could always put a small mushroom fan at the top that turns on when the heater is on to help make the temp in the fridge uniform.

Latest posts

Back