Chechvar AKA Budvar Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
I can find a lot of recipes for Pilsner Urquell but I haven't found any for Chechvar (AKA Budvar before AB got petty and sued) I think most of the difference would be a reduction in bittering hops but I am not sure being new to this. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks Baron,

I found the recipe and it basically cut the hops in half what a Pilsen Urquell would call for but is otherwise the same. Seems about right.

I have my own recipe (Recipator format now in Word.Doc) that.I can email it to you. It does not maintain its format if I cut and paste it here.

Here's one in the meantime:

This is from “Brew Classic European Beers At Home” book, page 124.

Budweiser
Budvar
True Budweis lager. Spritzy aroma of hops and gentle fruit.
Quenching, beautifully balanced in the mouth, bitter-sweet
Finish with light vanilla notes.

OG: 1048 / 11.9 Plato

Lager malt (Pilsen):
25 liters – 5,300 gm / 23 liters – 4,900 gm / 5 UK gals – 10.65 lb / 5 US gals – 8.85 lb (approx 5.4 lb DME)

Start of Boil: Saaz hops
25 liters – 50 gm / 23 liters – 45gm / 5 UK gals – 1.5 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Last 15 mins of Boil add Irish Moss
25 liters – 10 gm / 23 liters – 10 gm / 5 UK gals – .35 oz / 5 US gals – .3 oz

Brewing Method: Temperature-stepped infusion or double concoction mash. Bottom working lager yeast.

Mash Schedule:
50C – 20 mins (122F)
60C – 40 mins (140F)
70C – 40 mins (158F)

Boil Time: 90 mins

Racking Gravity: 1011 / 2.7 Plato

Alcohol Content: 5.0% ABV / 4.0% ABW

Bitterness: 20 EBU

Color: 4 EBU

Lager for 3 months.

Here is one of mine. It is a 20 gallon recipe

Czecher Cab: A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines: 02-A European Pale Lager, Bohemian Pilsner
Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.056
Min IBU: 35 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 3 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics:
Batch Size (Gal): 20.00 Wort Size (Gal): 20.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 35.00
Anticipated OG: 1.04987 Plato: 12.356
Anticipated SRM: 3.0
Anticipated IBU: 31.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts:
Evaporation Rate: 5.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 21.33 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.04676 SG 11.61 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar:
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 35.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.03800 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops:
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
5.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 21.5 60 min.
3.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 9.8 40 min.
3.00 oz. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast:
White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager

Mash Schedule:
Mash Name: Brewpastor 50 60 70
Total Grain Lbs: 35.00
Total Water Qts: 38.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 9.50 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 80.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proteolytic 5 30 122 120 Infuse 129 38.00 1.09
Beta Amylase 2 30 140 138 Infuse 188 18.75 1.62
Alpha Amylase 15 30 157 155 Direct --- ------- ----
Mashout 10 10 177 177 Direct --- ------- ----

Total Water Qts: 56.75 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 14.19 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 16.99 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

Good choice of yeast: White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager.

I only mention it because I think the only way you can get a true to style brew is by using the proper yeast.

Too many brewers don't use the appropriate yeast and wonder why their beer doesn't taste like they expected.

Hey guys, I was looking for this recipe too, but can anyone tell me if this is the version they brew for the US or the actual stuff they sell in the Czech Republic? If any of you have been fortunate enough to travel to the Czech Republic you know what I'm talking about. The stuff here in the states is nowhere near as good...
thanks...

--Ohms

There is no difference in the beer produced for domestic consumption and what's exported to the rest of Europe or North America.

I stood on the observation gallery in the brewery and watched them quickly switch the labeling machine from using the Budvar labels to the Czechvar labels.

They do produce other types of beer (including a high alc% for the Russian market) but Budvar is Budvar, only the label changes.

omniscientomar said:
The stuff here in the states is nowhere near as good...

That could possibly be due to the much longer shipping times and exposer to light, heat, whatever to get beer to North America as compared to neighboring European countries.

-walker

I second the recommendation for White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast, for anyone attempting a Czech style Pils. Very authentic tasting.

Walker-san said:
That could possibly be due to the much longer shipping times and exposer to light, heat, whatever to get beer to North America as compared to neighboring European countries.

-walker

Yeah, I guess that's probably what it is. I must have been spoiled drinking it right in Cesky Budejovice... I guess I'll just have to make my own, or take another credit-card -maxing trip!

--Ohms

There is no difference in the beer produced for domestic consumption and what's exported to the rest of Europe or North America.

I stood on the observation gallery in the brewery and watched them quickly switch the labeling machine from using the Budvar labels to the Czechvar labels.

They do produce other types of beer (including a high alc% for the Russian market) but Budvar is Budvar, only the label changes.

I lived in the Czech Republic for two years, from 1998 to 2000. I can't speak to the issue of whether export beer is somehow different. I can tell you that, even in the Czech Republic, the bottled Budvar does not taste as good as the stuff you get out of the keg. And it isn't just Budvar. Krusovice, Radegast, Staropramen, and several other Czech beers taste heavenly out of the tap, but lose something in the bottling/distribution process.

Now *THAT* is a way to resurrect a thread. Well played! But you should have waited until Sunday to do it...

Latest posts

Back