Help with figuring pouring pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzitser

Reaction score
Hi,
I've recently built a jockeybox, and I have 2 beers carbonating for an event i'm doing on saturday. One is a german hefeweizen (which i target at 3.8 carb units) and the other is an american amber ale (which i target at 2.4 carb units). The two kegs are sitting in a fridge at 39 deg farenheit.
I've dialed the regulator according to the carbonation charts at 26 And 11 PSI respectively to achieve my desired carbonation units.
Now, my question is this, as i'm using the "set it and forget it" method, i know i need to pour the beer at the pressure the keg's at. I've also read that it's not recommended pouring at over 19 PSI, so the question is, how do i pour the hefeweizen, and figure out the beer line lengths required for a balanced system.
The two kegs are going to be connected to a jockeybox with 50' of 3/8" SS coils, and i wanted to figure out what's the beer line length i need for each of them. Obviously the answer to the second question is dependent on the first question.

Thanks!

for a one day event you don't need to worry about maintaining the right balance of CO2 for the target carbonation volume, you just need enough pressure to pour the beer. hook up your system and adjust the pressure on the regulator until you're happy with the pour. if you're having some foaming issues with the hefe, bump the pressure up a few PSI, should help keep the CO2 in solution through the line. as for line length, I would go with something short so that you're not warming the beer up too much before it hits the jockey box.

Latest posts

Back