Newbie question about adding hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I'm getting ready brew today and have a stupid question. When i add hop pellets to the boil, do i put them in the muslin bag, or directly in the water?

Thanks

just add them in. Everytime that I tried using a bag for pellets they just mushed up and went right thru anyway. I started just tossing all of them in to cut another process and time and money. just use a strainer when going into the primary .

When I used pellets I put the boil hops directly in. I always used a hop bag for aroma hops... my thinking was that I could pull them from the wort after a said amount of time.

That was before I had a chiller, and I use leaf hops now, so they just get tossed in.

+1 for hops thrown in.

Strain if you'd like, but it's not necessary. If you're using a carboy for a primary fermentation vessel, it's a pain to strain with a funnel in place. If you're going into a bucket, I use this strainer and absolutely love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back