Autosiphon tubing for wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDM

Reaction score
Howdy gang! Say, I have my newly cobbled-together wort chiller all ready to go for batch number 2 (double bock kit, scheduled for blastoff tomorrow) . . . assuming the 3/8" clear tubing -- like you use with the autosiphon -- will work on the discharge end. I just did a test run in the kitchen sink and it all seems nice and tight, no leaks etc. The clear tube is a tight fit, but I'll prolly give it a hose clamp to be safe(?).

In a word, can clear autosiphon tube handle the heat?

Chiller.jpg

Thanx for putting up with us nervous n00bs! :cross:

it will get really soft because of all the hot water and may restrict flow. If anything i would have had a thicker tube on my discharge end. For mine i use soft tubing for both ends and it works fine. Its good to 212F

I'm taking it you mean clear tubing, since you say I oughta be fine. What about hose clamp, izzit necessary? Save me a trip to the hw store if not...

I'm taking it you mean clear tubing, since you say I oughta be fine. What about hose clamp, izzit necessary? Save me a trip to the hw store if not...

yes the clamps are nessesary. You can get ss worm clamps at home depot but you will need them to hold the presruef rom the hose hookup because your going from a lagre to small diameter tube. Major psi there.

What happens is that it gets soft and the falling water pulls a vacuum and partially collapses the tubing. Lowes will also have similar tubing with a white nylon braided thread embedded in the PVC. It's about twice the price, but still plenty cheap. It won't collapse as much.

Definitely get a hose clamp. I bought a chiller (price of chiller at my LBHS was only marginally more expensive than the copper) and it had plastic hose clamps. Three times the inlet blew off where it attached to the chiller. I finally rummaged through the garage until I found a small steel, screw time hose clam and all is well.

Latest posts

Back