60 amp main enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
I have a 60 A main breaker in my house. Would this be enough to run a 60A spa panel considering the other draws? I can always turn off the HVAC to avoid tripping the main. I have a 2/0 service cable into the house so i should be able to get my main breaker or panel upgraded if needed. I've been considering upgrading from 26 to a 30+ 150A circuit panel in the near future anyways. I wanted to know if i can safely squeak by with my existing panel for now.

Thanks!

I agree. Local power company asked me to upgrade to 100amp service before installing an electric water heater. You could do what you want with 60 amp service, but you should turn most other appliances off while brewing.

If you can upgrade the panel, I'd recommend doing that first.

One of my rentals has a 60 amp service and I had a hard time even getting insurance for it because of "fire risk" despite the only large load being the Air Con unit.

It'll also let you do more with the brewery setup.

Back