Cheap hydrometer is useless!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
I've successfully brewed 4 batches so far without a hydrometer...but I suspected my latest batch using liquid yeast had stuck . So Ineeded to check the specific gravity...

I bought a cheapo hydrometer from my home brew store.
Took a sample from the bin. Reading was 1050.
Took a sample of tap water. Reading was 1020!

Are cheap hydrometers worthless?

Mike

mike004 said:
Yes they are. If for any reason, just for tracking changes in order to see if fermentation is complete. Hydrometers can be a bit to way off and for this there is a way to check them. See this procedure on Checking Your Hydrometer.

Good luck,
Wild

I purchased a set of Lab certified hydrometers (they are easier to read on the yes for us older folks. They break the specific gravity range out further so there are more ticks inbetween each scale division, makes reading so easy.

They run about $19 a piece (ya need two one for each scale)

www.williamsbrewing.com

I calibrated all the cheap hydro's against these and they were all off one way or another.

But when I am brewing just to drink I rarely test the specific gravity, I just have fun.

But when I do need to test out come the Lab calibrated ones.

(They also sell a testube rack that holds the hydrometers for safe keeping)

Have fun!

of course you calibrated for temp right? ;)

Yeesh at 1.020 the water would have to be 153F.

Take it back to the store and use it to whack over the owners head. Of course it could just be a single mismade item..

I've put one of the refractometer models on my Christmas list. No more dealing with full sized samples. Unless of course I want to taste the brew, but it will sure be nice to be able to just take a few drops on a whim.

mike004 said:
I bought a cheapo hydrometer from my home brew store.
Took a sample from the bin. Reading was 1050.
Took a sample of tap water. Reading was 1020!

Not worthless at all...assuming your tap water and sample were at the same temp, then your sample has an SG of 1.030, which tells you what you wanted to know. :)

Back