Wiring my gearmotor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virtually all motors have marked wires under the screw on cover, and a diagram either under the cover or on the side of the motor explaining how to wire them for one direction or the other or for high or low voltage. It's very clear if you take the time to read it.
If that is beyond your capability.......... hire an electrician who know about motors.

H.W.

That looks like a quality piece of equipment.

The manual gives information for the entire line of product though and we don't know which assembly you have.

The key to understanding this equipment is to look at the motor nameplate which should give horsepower, motor speed, and rated voltage.

My main concern is that these kind of industrial motors are usually built for three phase power. If that's the case, the motor can't be run directly on single phase power which is universal for residential service.

Post a photo of the nameplate if you can, somebody will help you out.

That looks like a quality piece of equipment.

The manual gives information for the entire line of product though and we don't know which assembly you have.

The key to understanding this equipment is to look at the motor nameplate which should give horsepower, motor speed, and rated voltage.

My main concern is that these kind of industrial motors are usually built for three phase power. If that's the case, the motor can't be run directly on single phase power which is universal for residential service.

Post a photo of the nameplate if you can, somebody will help you out.

The name plate is kind of useless.......... A photo of the wiring diagram on the outside of the motor or the inside of the cover plate is what is needed. The identification plate on the outside will always tell you however if the motor is single or three phase, and what voltages, as well as the current draw at full load, service factor, and a few other things.

It is extremely easy to run a three phase 230 volt motor on single phase if you are willing to run less than full power. It takes nothing more than one or two capacitors, and some simple wiring. Many will start with only a large oil filled capacitor between one of the lines you hook power to and the lead you have nothing to connect to. Sometimes it takes a start capacitor to begin it turning, and that must be hooked to a relay wired to a start button. For heavier loads one needs an idler motor to act as an inverter, but that also is simple. I've built literally dozens of these over the years, running all kinds of 3 phase equipment. Lathes and Mills, saws, etc. In one case a 300 amp welder. None has ever failed or given any problems, burned out, etc..........

H.W.

Latest posts

Back