I feel like a fart smeller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mean a smart feller. I just got done brewing my fourth kit and this is the first time I did a full 5 gallon boil. The others were only 3 gallon with water added to make up. I actually got the wort cooling time down to about 15 minutes without a wort chiller. I have a whirlpool tub with water jets, and I've been just filling the tub with water and let the pot float around in there. Well, with the bigger pot, I filled the tub up above the water jets, and the pot didn't just float around. So, looking at this situation, I decided to see what happened if I turned the jets on. As it turns out, I had just enough time to sanitize everything for racking.

Then, after that, while racking it out, I was thinking about aeration. So, I let the tube down into the bottom of the carboy, submerged into the wort. And every few seconds, I lifted the racking tube just above the wort so it "burped" a little bit of air into the flow. I did this all the way down. Afterward, I still sloshed it around for about 5 minutes, figured it couldn't hurt.

So with this stuff in mind, what do you guys think? Decent ideas? Or did I just commit some kind of newbie sin? Input please!

What do you THINK you did wrong? I don't see anything from your description. Lots of people cool their wort in a cold bath, just make sure the lid is on so no unsanitized water splashes into the pot. Most people also suggest shaking the fermenter for aeration just prior to pitching.

No worries! I mean, what could possibly be in a whirlpool that could infect your beer, right?

HAHAHA! I'm thinking this could lead to "over-pitching"... If, you know.... and she has.... well, you know..... awwww. Forget it. Had to go too long for that one!
Keep the spa water out and you should be fine.

Not thinking I did anything wrong. Just thought I had some good ideas. Just bouncing it off of the peanut gallery to see if I made some fundamental mistake. Especially about the aerating part.

so i wonder if she is keeping a farm going, you know to keep getting fresh yeast to pitch on. MMmmm time to eat at the Y, mmm yeasty!:cross:

A couple of thoughts:

1) It's a yeast strain. I suppose you could culture it and pitch it - but most women would rather treat it.

2) That's one tuna buffet I'm not going to be rushing out to feast at.

3) Within a few years this will be the latest fad delicacy in Japan. I can picture it now, americans opening up p-yeast beer bars in Toyko. Call it karma for sushi.

4) Someday down the road, homebrewers will be talking about ordering yeasts from Vajayjay labs so they can make a OPB clone.

Lots of people cool their wort in a cold bath, just make sure the lid is on so no unsanitized water splashes into the pot.

I was just talking about this.

Supposedly, DiMethyl Sulfide components are constantly produced by hot wort,
and vaporize. If you leave the lid on during cooling they can condense back into
the wort and cause off flavors.

Just a thought.

I was just talking about this.

Supposedly, DiMethyl Sulfide components are constantly produced by hot wort,
and vaporize. If you leave the lid on during cooling they can condense back into
the wort and cause off flavors.

Just a thought.

John Palmer's "How to Brew" says it's best to keep the pot lid on during cooling and even has a photo of him putting his brewpot in his bathtub with the lid on.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Cooling the Wort

My understanding has always been lid off at boil and then on at cool and if you cool quickly enough, DMS won't be a problem. Anyone else's thoughts?

Latest posts

Back