Unsure to bottle or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy101

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am on me second brew Coopers European Larger.
It has been Fermenting now for 11 days. For the past couple of days the gravity reading has been 1.002 and was 1.041 at the start.

Anyway when i did the test today i noticed that there is still tiny bubbles rising to the top of the beer, so i assume its still fermenting.
Should i bottle or leave to ferment few more days.

1.002 or 1.020?

1.002 is very dry.....

Either way, once a beer stops fermenting, it effectively starts bulk conditioning, so most experienced brewers will go ahead and leave it in the primary fermentor for 2-3+ weeks.

Be patient and let it sit for another 3-10 days and you'll be rewarded with better beer in the long run.

11 days is a rather short fermentation, especially for a true lager. Of course, if it's a "lager" that actually is using ale yeast, it's probably done.
When in doubt, the rule of thumb is 3 gravity readings in 3 days stable, it's done, but no harm will come from letting it sit on the yeast for another week or two if you're worried.

Now, for your readings specifically, 1.002 is VERY low for most beers, and suggests that it has more than fully fermented, perhaps even hyper attenuated (which would mean too dry)
If you are indeed using a lager yeast, I'd imagine that's a sign of fermenting too high, which could lead to some other off-flavors... only time will tell for sure.
At any rate, that almost certainly means that all the available sugars are gone, and the tiny bubbles you're seeing now is simply offgassing of the CO2 made during fermentation- it's basically just VERY lightly carbonated.

So yes, you should be okay to bottle if you want to, or let it hang out on the yeast for a bit longer for flavor cleanup- especially if you're really doing a lager.

1.002 or 1.020?

1.002 is very dry.....

Either way, once a beer stops fermenting, it effectively starts bulk conditioning, so most experienced brewers will go ahead and leave it in the primary fermentor for 2-3+ weeks.

Be patient and let it sit for another 3-10 days and you'll be rewarded with better beer in the long run.

When i dropped in my hydrometer the reading was the next mark after 1.000 so 1.002 .. that reading was at the top surface of the brew.

11 days is a rather short fermentation, especially for a true lager. Of course, if it's a "lager" that actually is using ale yeast, it's probably done.
When in doubt, the rule of thumb is 3 gravity readings in 3 days stable, it's done, but no harm will come from letting it sit on the yeast for another week or two if you're worried.

Now, for your readings specifically, 1.002 is VERY low for most beers, and suggests that it has more than fully fermented, perhaps even hyper attenuated (which would mean too dry)
If you are indeed using a lager yeast, I'd imagine that's a sign of fermenting too high, which could lead to some other off-flavors... only time will tell for sure.
At any rate, that almost certainly means that all the available sugars are gone, and the tiny bubbles you're seeing now is simply offgassing of the CO2 made during fermentation- it's basically just VERY lightly carbonated.

So yes, you should be okay to bottle if you want to, or let it hang out on the yeast for a bit longer for flavor cleanup- especially if you're really doing a lager.

Thanks for your advise.
I will let it sit for another week. Im not in a rush. Just want a nice beer :)

Just to update you guys.
I went ahead and Bottled it after a further few days.

So few days later i did a taste test, I know i know -should let it fully carb before i try, But i just had to see if it was dry as mentioned above.

Although, There was only little carbonation, The taste was great and it was crystal clear. Not dry at all And had a hint of zesty fruitiness, I only sampled a small bottle so the rest of the 40pnt will be even better after a month or 2.

Dang, 1.002 and not dry? Interesting. Hope all the rest are just as good as the sample!

Back