How long is too long? (I know it's vague, sorry)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joemama474

Reaction score
I brewed up Edwort's BeeCave Kolsch about 3 weeks ago. I followed his process to the letter, and intended to brew up his BeeCave Oktoberfest Ale and toss it right on the Kolsch yeastcake as he has recommended (other posts notwithstanding). The problem is that I had some sudden financial circumstances that kept me from getting the ingredients, and I won't be able to get them (or get the thing brewed) until next Monday (about another 9 days). I cold crashed the kolsch about 6 days ago, and it's still sitting at 39 degrees. So these are the questions:

1. Is there going to be enough viable yeast after 15 days at 39 degrees to ferment the Oktoberfest?
  2. Is there enough viable yeast after 6 days (today) that if I pulled it out of the cold and let it return to room temp (65-68) that I could still re-use the yeast cake?
  3. Could I do that without creating some kind of bizarre funkiness?
  4. This is the one I'm leaning towards... Should I just leave it at 39 until I can brew the Oktoberfest, see if it ferments, and if not just repitch a fresh kolsch yeast starter?

I'm still awfully new at this (this kolsch was my first all grain batch, and my first batch with liquid yeast). Searching the forum hasn't given me a great deal of guidance. I'm guessing the fourth option will be the best, since I've read a lot about people successfully culturing yeast from commercially bottled beer that has certainly been through more than the yeast in my fermenter right now...

Thanks for the help.

Joe(mama)

I think I wrecked my first batch. I brewed the Phat Tyre from northern brewer and have not had the chance to bottle. I thought I would have a keggerator or keezer up and running by now. Has anyone left a beer in the primary about 67 degrees for 7 weeks? Will there still be enough active yeast to naturally carb. in bottles?

IHas anyone left a beer in the primary about 67 degrees for 7 weeks? Will there still be enough active yeast to naturally carb. in bottles?

Yup I did a Vienna + Northern Brewer Smash that went almost exactly 7 weeks in the primary. Carbed up just fine with normal sugar (5oz dextrose) within 10 days or so, just like normal. That yeast will be just fine. :mug:

I finally got the Oktoberfest brewed yesterday. I toosed it on the Kolsch cake and it's bubbling away. Seems all is well. Thanks all for the reassurance.

Latest posts

Back