Possible Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebiewer

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've done a bit of research and haven't been able to find anything that helps me recognize what I'm looking at right now. I think it may be infected, but I may be paranoid a little because I've never seen this before in a fermentation.

IMG_3601-e1270930264267.jpg

Its like little cakey brown flakes on the top. It isn't hops, I filtered hops out with a strainer before I put it in the fermenter.

Thoughts?

Its a Scottish 60 from Northern Brewer. It has been fermenting for 2 weeks. I still see a bubble once in a while in the airlock. That is what leads me to think its infected.

I've yet to have an infection so I'm curious. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kind of hard to tell with that pic... but it looks like what is on top of my Chocolate Nut Stout... which is the remnants of the krausen that had fallen.

Cool.

I was wondering because I've usually got pretty good sanitation. I over sanitize usually and that brew day was no different. I had just never seen it before and the bubble coming out of the air lock once in a while made me wonder.

Thanks guys!

Back