New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ sounds interesting bro! Keen to experiment with Brett at some point.

In lack of that I made a Red Ale on the weekend using American Pale Malt, Munich, Crystal malts & Special B. Hopped with Columbus, Centennial & Cascade. Smells real good fermenting away at the moment. Colour is looking awesome too! very dark deep red. Aiming for 6.3%.

Also want to try brew a NZ Pale Ale for my brother in Law who is coming over from England in December. I am open to good recipes :)

Something with a good punch of NZ hops;but not high in ABV, maybe around 4.5-5.5%

Try this one:

23L batch 71% efficiency
60min boil
60min mash @ 65 degrees

4.5kg Pale Ale Malt
450gCarahell
450g Munich 1
100g Carapils

30g NZ Cascade @ 60mins
20g NZ Cascade @ 10mins
16g Nelson Sauvin @ 10mins
30g Nelson Sauvin @ flameout

Ferment with S-04 at 20 degrees.

Nice NZ Pale Ale. If you don't get enough Sauvin in the aroma, dry hop it. I've goner as high as 80g at flameout but that was way too much.

I have a APA/IPA hybrid as well:

23L batch, 81% efficiency (dialled in my gear by this point)
60min boil
60min mash @ 68 degrees

4kg Pale Ale Malt
450g Light Crystal (Or CaraPils)
450g Vienna

28g NZ Cascade @ FWH
20g NZ Centennial @ 10mins
20g NZ Centennial @ 5mins
20g NZ Cascade @ 1mins
59g Citra @ dry hop (7 days)

Fermented with Wyeast 1968 at 18 degrees

Hey everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions please for a nice easy NZ pale ale recipe my mate and I could try for our second BIAB attempt? Ideally would like to keep it fairly sessionable for the summer season. Cheers

Hey there.. Not sure if you are sorted now.. But I have a cascade smash pale ale, all grain recipe on brewgr... Under madcow...was my first attempt at recipe.. Pretty tasty and they didn't last long in the kegs.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446802185.505705.jpg

Hey there.. Not sure if you are sorted now.. But I have a cascade smash pale ale, all grain recipe on brewgr... Under madcow...was my first attempt at recipe.. Pretty tasty and they didn't last long in the kegs.View attachment 314199

Thanks everyone for the advice. We ended up doing the Tuatara APA clone from Brewtopia. Bubbling away happily as I write this!8

Results guys?

NHC I'm guessing you mean?
I tanked on 2 - Session IPA = 10 (wrong category, more of a light pale brewed poorly), Oatmeal Stout = 6 (weird that the strang acidic twang I taste in it didn't come up in the judging - really felt they were overly harsh on this one not a great beer but I wouldn't say "problematic" - maybe I should though :D), then got bronze (36) on my Berliner Weisse (really wasn't expecting it because it is really light on the sour as it was a first attempted and didn't want it to go too far - mentioned I the judging sheet to give it more punch in future)
You - I saw a couple of Rob's in the medal list?

That was me. 2 bronze.
Tart cherry Brett saison.-32
And 33 for my blonde ale.
Lowest was 14 coconut porter
Then a couple of closer one 25 25 and 18.

I got four silvers and a bronze.

44 on a Scottish 60/-
43 on an English Barleywine
40 on a sweet mead
38 on an English Brown
34 on Foreign Extra Stout

Unfortunately I got unlucky with a bad bottle and lost points for my bitter, and lost some points on an out of style beer as well. But I was pretty stoked with the results. Mostly just entered for feedback. Next year I'll hold back the more questionable beers.

I got four silvers and a bronze.

44 on a Scottish 60/-
43 on an English Barleywine
40 on a sweet mead
38 on an English Brown
34 on Foreign Extra Stout

Unfortunately I got unlucky with a bad bottle and lost points for my bitter, and lost some points on an out of style beer as well. But I was pretty stoked with the results. Mostly just entered for feedback. Next year I'll hold back the more questionable beers.

Wow, good work! How did you find the feedback that you were given? I expect mine was limited because the beers were just too "wrong" so "fix your process" and "think about what you want to achieve" are probably fair calls :D
Funny that I felt I got more useful feedback from the Berliner Weisse than the 2 I really needed it for... but maybe I need to get closer to style before they can help!

Wow, good work! How did you find the feedback that you were given? I expect mine was limited because the beers were just too "wrong" so "fix your process" and "think about what you want to achieve" are probably fair calls :D
Funny that I felt I got more useful feedback from the Berliner Weisse than the 2 I really needed it for... but maybe I need to get closer to style before they can help!

Thanks. Kind of similar to you. The stronger the rating on the beer, the more detailed the notes were. I found it really helpful to hear what the judges picked up in the beer they liked. I got a few good suggestions on my bronze, as to areas I could look at.

The one's that were negative were mostly pretty brief. I didn't disagree with them though. The only thing I had a hard time with was a semi-sweet mead I entered that got a 19 for being out of style and "should have been entered as a sweet mead". I felt really good about this one and was surprised to see it do so poorly. On the hydrometer it finished at 0.000 but it still had an impression of sweetness. I entered it as a semi-sweet because it was almost identical to a semi-sweet mead I bought from moonlight meadery, which was the only example of "semi-sweat" I have ever had. But hey, I guess it's what it tastes like to the judge, not what it actually is. I still have two bottles of it. Next year I'll try it in the "sweet mead" category and see what happens.

Sounds good guys. I didn't enter any myself, but there's always next year :)

Pretty gutted about my latest brew, took a sample of my red ale and have found i mashed too high and it looks like it is stuck at 1.020 :( still at 5.38% abv but not confident its going to be any good. Any potential fixes? would batch priming in a keg help lower it?

Otherwise ill just let it condition for a bit, keg it and force carb it to see if its drinkable - otherwise ditch it.

Thanks. Kind of similar to you. The stronger the rating on the beer, the more detailed the notes were. I found it really helpful to hear what the judges picked up in the beer they liked. I got a few good suggestions on my bronze, as to areas I could look at.

The one's that were negative were mostly pretty brief. I didn't disagree with them though. The only thing I had a hard time with was a semi-sweet mead I entered that got a 19 for being out of style and "should have been entered as a sweet mead". I felt really good about this one and was surprised to see it do so poorly. On the hydrometer it finished at 0.000 but it still had an impression of sweetness. I entered it as a semi-sweet because it was almost identical to a semi-sweet mead I bought from moonlight meadery, which was the only example of "semi-sweat" I have ever had. But hey, I guess it's what it tastes like to the judge, not what it actually is. I still have two bottles of it. Next year I'll try it in the "sweet mead" category and see what happens.

Moonlights the one in nth canty right? I grew up down the road from it. But never tried it. Still haven't.

The only one I'm really disappointed in notes wise is my coconut porter. Put it in spice/herb/vege beer as it is a coconut beer.
To be told out of style?
The notes that irked me a touch was the appearance. 2/3: within colour parameters. I'll post the notes.

Moonlight Meadery is one of the biggest out of the states. Michael Fairbrother is the owner and does a lot with the Brewing Network.

I would be totally stumped on where to put a coconut beer. Spice/herb/vegetable would make sense, but so would fruit beer as counter-intuitive as it sounds.

It looks like a coconut porter won something big at NHC a while back in the fruit beer category. Here's a thread on it: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16116.0

But everyone is debating whether or not it should be in the fruit or spice/herb/veg category as well.

Just to totally geek out, it's technically not a fruit or a vegetable. It's a "drupe". New one to me: http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/coconut.html

Moonlights the one in nth canty right? I grew up down the road from it. But never tried it. Still haven't.

The only one I'm really disappointed in notes wise is my coconut porter. Put it in spice/herb/vege beer as it is a coconut beer.
To be told out of style?
The notes that irked me a touch was the appearance. 2/3: within colour parameters. I'll post the notes.

The 2015 style guidelines specifically include coconut for category 30. One reason to say it is not in style is if the coconut is not "strong" enough, e.g. if the judges can't detect it is in there are say the beer should have been entered as a standard porter instead... but I'm really the last person that should be advising on correct categories :D

The 2015 style guidelines specifically include coconut for category 30. One reason to say it is not in style is if the coconut is not "strong" enough, e.g. if the judges can't detect it is in there are say the beer should have been entered as a standard porter instead... but I'm really the last person that should be advising on correct categories :D

https://nhc.soba.org.nz/brewer/entries/1985/score/share?k=95e370

heres thenote. nto sure if i posted earlier.
cos it was quite hoppy, i think they may have confused it a touch. i think a generic specialty beer category might be required if it doesn't fit into any other style category.
I did note the style as american style porter, quite hoppy with a subtle coconut aroma and flavour.

^ Nice one mate

I ended up just kegging my Red Ale and force carbing it to see if its drinkable; it hasn't lowered in gravity any more. I just hope it isn't too sweet!

To replace it I brewed the NZ Pale Ale, so looking forward to that one :)

Not too bad. Last batch ran short on OG.

Just finished upbrewing 160 litres for my wedding in a few weeks.
Brown ale
Red ale
Pale ale
Golden ale

Next up imperial stout with Brett.

Nice one dude!
Im doing something similar for my house warming/engagement party, trying to get at least 5 kegs done.

Brewed a Red ale on Saturday using WPL001 California Ale - geez what a beast! went from 1.062 to 1.018 in less than 3 days! krausen was like 7cm+ haha.

I brewed a dope Saison using lime zest and a hint of lime juice using a blend of French Saison 3711 and Belgian Saison 3724. Unfortunately it got an infection so i have added some Brett and will let it age. Still tastes real good so i still have faith!

Next up will be a rebrew of above + a NZ IIPA

Brewing's going well. Got a grain mill so I can now save on shipping and grain costs by using a Nelson supplier which I'm stoked about.

Last beer was a 3.8% APA with Mosaic and had planned on Simcoe. However, the Simcoe bag in the freezer had a crack in it and had no aroma so ended up using Motueka instead. Combination is alright but won't do it again. Next up is a Mild, then a Munich Helles, then it's cider making season.

Doing my biggest beer right now, 1.080 Stone Ruination clone. Pitched 2/3 of a month old US-05 yeast cake and it went nuts for 5 days. On tap now is a 4% Beetroot Belgian, nice colour and easy drinking. Doing a Tuatara APA clone next but will sub out the NS for cascade. Also in the works is shaving the shelf racks from the kegerator to add a third keg. :ban:

Doing my biggest beer right now, 1.080 Stone Ruination clone. Pitched 2/3 of a month old US-05 yeast cake and it went nuts for 5 days. On tap now is a 4% Beetroot Belgian, nice colour and easy drinking. Doing a Tuatara APA clone next but will sub out the NS for cascade. Also in the works is shaving the shelf racks from the kegerator to add a third keg. :ban:

Mm mm ruination. Original ruination?

Recipe below... I didn't have any Magnum so used Warrior and Citra for bittering.
Ferment so active I nearly needed a blowoff on my blowoff. :rockin:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155771

nice, i tried fresh ruination when i was in the us a few months back. it was 2.0, and i've been thinking about doing that for awhile, so nicely done.

they do some awesome beers.

Planning my first brew for 2016 next week. My first all grain recipe being rebrewed......Epic Pale Ale clone.
Planning a year of funk this year. Got some wild yeast to use, some lacto/Pedio I managed to get off some silage I want to play with and I'm thinking of getting a barrel........still not 100% on that yet.

Oh man I am geeking out, just noticed this huge pellicle on my Saison :)
I thought the Brett wasnt going to do bugger all because the F.G was 1.004 and I racked it off the trub. (not to mention the pack of Brett was manufactured in April last year haha).

Keen to try it in 3months to see how its developing!

Oh man I am geeking out, just noticed this huge pellicle on my Saison :)
I thought the Brett wasnt going to do bugger all because the F.G was 1.004 and I racked it off the trub. (not to mention the pack of Brett was manufactured in April last year haha).

Keen to try it in 3months to see how its developing!
Awesome, a pellicle is designed more for oxygen protection, it shows there is some oxygen in the carboy. but don't fear, normally that means the brett is active as well, and even if it doesn't eat much in the way of sugar, it should modify the flavours, by eatingthings like dead yeast, and the longer chain sugars if there are any.

Post a pic when you can I'd love to see it.

Chur. Unfortunately I cant post a photo just yet as I put it in an awkward spot in the garage and I'm afraid if i move it the Pellicle will drop haha.

Anyway I just re-brewed that same beer again on the weekend with 3711 and its fermenting away now. Pretty odd that the fermentation isn't nearly as aggressive, but its looking murky as all hell. Just ramped up to 25C to get some funky esters in it :rockin: Can definitely smell that lime pushing through too.

Hey all,
Not sure if everyone would have seen, but pre-orders for fresh hops are open through a few HBS: I got some via The Brew House in Newtown but i believe Brewtopia, Home Brew West and Finney's Emporium are running a competition - $20 for 1kg of Motueka, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. :mug:

I brewed a pale ale today that will be dry hopped with fresh cascades when they arrive. Then I'll be brewing 2 fresh hop beers, one a wheat beer and probably a iipa or a imperial red ale

Latest posts

Back