Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Junior

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

so im looking into getting a propane burner to brew outdoors. Do yall think that the Bayou Classic models are actually worth the premium?

Thanks.

10" cast iron propane burner and a good frame design, better have everything you need than be a little unsafe. I'm not up on the latest models and deals, someone else will chime in for sure.

OneHoppyGuy said:
10" cast iron propane burner and a good frame design, better have everything you need than be a little unsafe. I'm not up on the latest models and deals, someone else will chime in for sure.

I agree, but for about $85, I'd get the Bayou KAB4... f*cking great (I've 2)!

You are asking a question that is not easily answered. My suggestion is to buy something and start brewing with it. I am not totally happy with my SQ14 but I don't use too much propane and I can get 13 gallons into a rolling boil. It takes over an hour to get there though. Others can get the same boil in 20 minutes with other burners. I don't know how much gas they use because the "standard" in HBT is how many batches per tank. Tank is dependent on where you fill.

IMHO, the burners alone are cheep, one that would work to heat your pot is sp-10. The regulator vlave and braded hose rated for lp ate not cheep. getting a kit is still the way to go and you can throw the stand away. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I would get the bigger 15 gal pot, then you can do 12gal batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my thought:

5-6 gallon batches at low propane utilization - SQ14
5-8 gallon batches at slightly higher propane utilization but less time - SP10
5-12 gallon batches in a pot - KAB4
5-12 gallon batches in a keggle or larger than 12 gallons in a pot - KAB6

i have the sq-14 and it does a great job for my 15 gallon keggle.

I have the same set-up and am pretty happy with it. It's built like a tank, no worries about it supporting a keggle. When I first got it I put a 15g keggle on and filled it with water to the top - solid as a rock. And it cost under $50 shipped. (Amazon) Brings 13 gallons of already hot wort to boil in 20-25 minutes.

Others have had problems with it. Like all things in homebrewing, your mileage might vary.

Brings 13 gallons of already hot wort to boil in 20-25 minutes.

Just curious how your SQ14 is able to bring that much wort to boil that quick. I'm only trying to boil ~6.5 gallons with mine and while I havent actually timed it yet, it seems a bit longer than 20-25 minutes. Do you have a higher pressure regulator on it? I turn mine up until the flames start lifting and I get a low roaring sound...

I brewed on Friday, and was barely able to get a minimal boil with my SQ14 and 11 gallons of wort. I tried everything to get additional heat output. I blocked the wind, turned it up higher, adjusted air flow. This was with every orifice burning blue. Nothing would get it going any hotter.

KAB6, here I come!

I use a Bayou KAB4 for a 10 gallon pot and it rocks. I also use it to ah... distill "water" and it does a great job. On the higher end $$$, I would have liked the Blichmann with the wall all the way up to the pot. So I took mine to a welder and he added 2.5-3" to the sides all the way around. It really helps concentrate the heat. I used the Bayou this past monday for an Oktoberfest (I know I've got the months backwards, I should be drinking not brewing it) and the boil was incredible with much lower heat. The amount of money you will eventually save on propane will pay for the Blichmann in the long run.

Timed a boil on my SQ14 today.

Volume = 6 gallons
Result = ~130 degrees to boiling in right at 30 minutes.

To justify the starting temp, I had steepd some grain at 170. Pouring room temp water through the grain bag for bringing the kettle up to boil volume is what dropped the temp to about 130.

I'll try to do a test of room temp to boil soon and post the results. Seems like most folk must reference steping temp to boil or post mash to boil times. (At leats thats what I gather based on the stated times...)

Back