question about infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panther1911

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day of truth. My first batch will be taken from the fermenting bucket and bottled. I have been reading up on all this home brewing stuff and I guess I am now super paranoid about a bacterial infection. I used a pre-hopped can of Cooper's lager and some corn sugar. I boiled the water before adding the sugar and liquid Malt Extract. I used star san as a sanatizer. Im just so nervous right now that I might have missed a spot when shaking my bucket or water from the air lock got in or something to that effect.

Is there any visual signs when I open the bucket? Is it salvageable? Is it dangerous to drink?

I'm hoping it will come out fine, I guess I'm just a little nervous.

No visual signs but you don't really need any since your beer will be just fine. Even if you have an infection (very rare) it would not hurt you to drink it but since you don't and won't have an infection, why worry about it.

Tomorrow when you taste your beer it will taste green and watery. This is normal and not an infection.

Are you starting to get the hint....your beer will be fine. :p

Relax Don't Worry, go have a beer... (you don't have homebrew as this is your frst batch).

No stop reading the books and launch a few threads... your fine...

Oh and welcome to the obsession... now go start planning your next batch..

That sour is not an infection. It most likely is the wine taste you get from using so much dextrose. Good luck on the next batch and welcome

I think it will be ok! I bottled it tonight. It tasted a little sour but not undrinkable. I will try another after a week in the bottle then 2 then 3.

Yea, you are most likely tasting "green beer". The bitterness will mellow out and blend with the malt flavor etc in time. Tasting it one week out, two weeks out, three weeks out is good to know what green beer taste likes in different stages but when you hit that perfect time, you will know it but I would also recommend keeping some bottles to taste on week 4,5,6,7,8 +.

I have a second fermenter on order so I can have two going at once. I also ordered a kit to make a belgian wit. and I also plan to make Edowrt's Apfelwein

Ahh the staple for all bored homebrewers. I still have several gallons of apple juice at the ready for when I free up a bottle or two. Just be careful, that stuff can get you donk after a glass or two and you'll certainly pay for it the next day. I have 2 gallons stowed away for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Back