What BJCP style does this beer fit into?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I decided to make a "Vanilla Cream Lager" which turned out okay. I'd like to enter it into a competition, and I'm entering it into the specialty beer category since I used vanilla to brew it.

My question is: what underlying style should I choose for this beer? I brewed it using California Lager yeast, so I guess it will be a lager (it tastes like one), but I'm not sure which type of lager to enter it as.

Here are the ingredients:

40% 2-Row Pale
30% Pilsen Light
10% Flaked Barley
10% Corn Sugar
5% Carapils
3% Caramel/Crystal 60L
Vanilla Bean

60 min Cascade (1 oz.)
25 min Liberty (.5 oz.)
5 min Liberty (.5 oz.)

Added Vanilla in secondary

Wyeast California Lager 2112

IBU: 25.2
SRM: 5.2
ABV: 4.4%
OG: 1.053

Since I used pilsen, does that mean I have to enter it as a Pilsner?

Did you or did you not use Vanilla? You said you did, but then in your ingredients, it isn't listed.

If you did, 21A.

If not, toss up between 6A and 6B, depending on how the beer turned out.

And no, because you used Pils malt doesn't make it a Pils.

Oops! I forgot to add the vanilla in my list of ingredients. I didn't even think of entering it as a spiced beer. That makes things easier...

So if I enter it in the spiced beer category, I still need to list an underlying style for the beer. I was thinking some kind of pilsner or light lager. What do you all think?

If you enter as a spiced beer you would enter as either 21A - Spice, Herb, Vegetable Beer or 21B - Christmas, Winter Specialty Beer. If you don't think you fit in one of those just go with 23A Specialty Beer. Maybe an actual judge with chime in here and give their opinion.

It only depends what it tastes like. It doesn't matter what the ingredients are. Jamil has a rant about this in the latest Brew Strong.

If you can taste the vanilla, probably 21A with 7B base would be my guess.

If it isn't too dark, I would suggest entering it as a Vanilla Blonde Ale in SHV, 21A.

Make sure the base beer is to style. That is what I tend to focus on, after determining if there are any faults in fermentation or sanitation. The final aspect is how the spice blends in with the base style.

Good luck.

Back