Wild Yeast in my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrew

Reaction score
I was making a batch of starter to sterilize in my pressure cooker and can for use later. I had extra starter left over and intended to just dump it later but I got busy then started brewing etc etc. Later that evening I went to finish my cleanup and I saw that some kind of fermentation was going on in my flask.

708-wild-yeast-my-starter.jpg

709-wild-yeast-my-starter.jpg

It doesn't have an unpleasant smell to it. In fact it has the smell of a London or Irish ale strain, both of which I had made within the last few months. I didn't sanitize the flask before adding the starter knowing I was going to sterilize it in the pressure cooker.

I can't decide if it's wild or somehow just residual yeast from one of my previous batches. If it is wild, should I harvest it and use it or just dump and sanitize it more thoroughly next time?

How did your left over wort wind up in your starter flask? Sounds a bit premeditated.

I was using the Erlenmeyer flask to measure the wort from a larger vessel (I mixed about 3 gal of wort in a kettle). I then transferred it from the Erlenmeyer to a canning jar. I wanted to get a consistent volume in each jar which is why I used the flask.

In truth, I was going to find a way to use the remainder but then forgot about it so it sat for about 16 hours and this is what I got.

The real danger is that it is the Budweiser strain that wafted through an open window. You certainly don't want that in your product.

ROFL, you're probably right. Although if it is the Schlafly strain, I probably wouldn't mind so much :)

Latest posts

Back