15g Megapot issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croy9000

Reaction score
I just got my new 15 gallon megapot from Northern Brewer and may have made nasty mistake. I ordered it with the thermometer, but they mounted it pretty high up, so high in fact for the sensor wont be immersed in the 5 gallon batches I will be doing. I will also be using this pot for strike and sparge water, so will be needing to heat even smaller amounts of water.

Any thoughts/ideas? Or am I overlooking something?

3935353856_69d8bc9603.jpg

Another issue is the small rust spots popping up after adding some water to it for a test biol. Is that normal for a SS pot? Anything to worry about?

3935354562_8dd8531086.jpg

How much water does it take to submerge the probe?

The rust can be a by-product of the use of metal drill bits, sanding belts, deburring equipment, etc... when drilling the holes. Small chips or shavings can be present and cause those spots. That is ferrous metal from manufacturing tools Id suspect.

> How much water does it take to submerge the probe?

5 gallons of water was about 1" below it. So I would estimate about 6-6.5 gallons.

I would really like to stick with 5 gallon batches. I wonder if I there is a copper tube made that would slip tightly over the probe, and I could bend downward toward the water (just thinking outloud). Worst case I will just need to use my insta-read.

I think the thermometer is useless then.

I wonder, how does NB determine where to place the probe?

Id personally be pretty pissed if I paid for a kettle mod that I could not use.

Granted, they didnt "know"... but the fact remains, you paid for a useless thermometer.

The 15 gallon kettle is likely for 10+ gallon batches. I don't recommend one that big for 5 gallon batches (particularly if you want to fly sparge).

If you did not tell them you were buying a 15 gallon pot to do 5 gallon boils or spec exactly where to put the probe then you have no one to blame.

If it were me I would just plug the hole with a SS fitting and drill a new hole and install probe. Not a big deal to do.

First however make sure you can clean off the rust with Barkeepers Friend. If they won't go away send the pot back.

> If you did not tell them you were buying a 15 gallon pot to do 5 gallon boils or spec exactly where to put the probe then you have no one to blame.

I never blamed them. In my original post I acknowledged it was my mistake. I was just looking for suggestions on a solution.

That is a good idea to to just plug the hole. Just need to research what to use.

Thanks for the tip on the Barkeepers friend.

Back