Stratification in HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpweeks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 gal igloo that I Added an electric element to. To combat stratification I circulate water with my pump as I approach my target temps.

I'm looking ahead to upgrading to a 20 gal stout tank hlt and I want to go electric

What are you guys with larger hlt's doing to prevent stratification? Is pumping the answer or something else?

I recirculate during the entire mash through my HLT heat exchanger. I maintain even temp in MT and the bonus is I end up with crystal clear wort in the BK. I use a second pump to recirculate water from bottom to the top of the HTL during mash. Highly recommend it.

Pumping seems like the most logical, and it's a piece of equipment already connected to it.

I'm starting the planning stages of upgrading my whole set up to 20 gal kettles, so I just wanted to see what others were doing

Cheers!

MaxOut said:
I recirculate during the entire mash through my HLT heat exchanger. I maintain even temp in MT and the bonus is I end up with crystal clear wort in the BK. I use a second pump to recirculate water from bottom to the top of the HTL during mash. Highly recommend it.

This is what I do with half barrel kegs for my MLT and HLT on the HERMS system.

I don't do anything to combat stratification. I typically do not measure the temp in my HLT. I measure and control the temp of wort coming out of my HERMS coil. Yes, my HERMS may be more efficient if I stirred or recirculated or bubbled the water in my HLT. That said, when I measure the temp in my HLT it is usually only 1-3F higher than the output of my HERMS coil. My ability to regulate mash temps is limited by wort flow thru my HERMS coil relative to the thermal mass of the mash. YMMV.

stevehaun said:
I don't do anything to combat stratification. I typically do not measure the temp in my HLT. I measure and control the temp of wort coming out of my HERMS coil. Yes, my HERMS may be more efficient if I stirred or recirculated or bubbled the water in my HLT. That said, when I measure the temp in my HLT it is usually only 1-3F higher than the output of my HERMS coil. My ability to regulate mash temps is limited by wort flow thru my HERMS coil relative to the thermal mass of the mash. YMMV.

So how do you strike in? Do you recirc your strike in water through your herms until it hits temp?

I find the temp in my ehlt could be at least 10 degrees off if I'm not recirculating. I guess that could be because of where my temp probe is located, but there is still obvious issues of stratification when not re circulating

For those that don't want to invest in a second pump for recirculation there are always other solutions.

183-s.jpg

Just build a stir setup for your HLT. The motor was dirt cheap & I made the prop. Best part is it works very well.

P-J

To expand on P-J's idea, stand mixers are an item you'd be likely to find on a lab surplus site. Either a propeller type or a rotor-stator would do the job, although the r-s would be huge overkill.

Latest posts

Back