Have a Good Laugh

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I hope this makes someone laugh . . . It almost made me cry.

I brewed my attempt at a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale this morning. Everything went great. I got it cooled down very quickly and even remembered to check the gravity before pitching the yeast this time.

I was about to aerate the wort. I slipped the paint mixer into the chuck, started to tighten the it when the oldest, nastiest, dirtiest chuck key slipped out and landed in the wort. I panicked and stuck my hand in the wort and grabbed it. It was in the wort for probably 2 seconds, but my hands weren't sanitized either.

I'll be shocked if the batch isn't infected. I learned a lesson today and I'll be much more attentive to sanitation in the future.

It'll probably be fine. There are lots of stories in here about arms going into buckets and the beer turning out better than expected. If I was bacteria I could think of better places to live than part of a dirty power tool.

A non brewer might laugh, I doubt anyone here would laugh. If it turns out OK, you can call it your "Arm & Chuck Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale".
Here's hoping it's just fine.

Man, that sucks... no use in worrying about it now.

Let the yeast vs. (potential) bacteria or wild yeast turf battle begin.

Carple tunnel twitch ale anyone?! They're right,many stories about this on here. And they turned out fine. That's another reason I have the new style drill chuck. No keys to loose or fumble.

I'd be more surprised if it were infected. We're all pretty careful about sanitation, I think, but even so, infection doesn't happen all that easily. I've had some good screw ups, and never had an infection. I've heard of people dropping a shoe in their wort, but no infection.

On the other hand, every infection I've heard or read of occurred when the brewer thought everything he did was fine.

I finally got my Allen wrench back that got dropped into the belgian strong ale I just bottled. It had been sanitized, but who knows.

I am not a fan of flavored beers, yet a pecan nut brown sounds good!

Good luck with it.

Pez.

I've heard of people dropping a shoe in their wort, but no infection.[\QUOTE]

Had I been my shoe, there would certainly be an infection.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

]
I've heard of people dropping a shoe in their wort, but no infection.[\QUOTE]

Had I been my shoe, there would certainly be an infection.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I sincerely hope this brew works out! And if it does, here's a label you can use. ;) :D

arm_chuck.jpg

I had the A&H logo saved for an unfinished poster project, and as I was reading the thread, it reminded me of it. I guess I tweaked if for like 40 minutes or thereabouts... Insomnia is a helluva drug!

How the hell do I delete my double post (the first one)? :eek:

Hellosluggo said:
I sincerely hope this brew works out! And if it does, here's a label you can use. ;) :D

Wow. That is truly awesome. I love it and I will definitely use it. Thanks so much.

Didn't make me laugh but I did smile.
The name sounds good can you post the recipe?

Didn't make me laugh but I did smile.
The name sounds good can you post the recipe?

5 gallon batch
8 lbs. Marris Otter
1lb. Roasted Pecans (in the mash)*
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
8 oz. Cara-Pils
4 oz. Chocolate Malt

0.4 oz. Nugget - 60 min.
0.4 oz Willamette - 15 min.

1 tsp. Irish Moss - 15 min.
5 tsp. Yeast Nutrient - 15 min.

WLP002 (1.5 L starter)

* I roasted the pecans for 10 min. @ 350. Then stored them in a paper bag overnight. The next night I roasted them for 10 min. @ 400 and stored them in a paper bag overnight.

Est. OG: 1.055 (actual OG 1.060)
16 SRM
19.2 IBU
4.9% ABV

I almost forget something.

1 old, dirty, nasty chuck key in the wort after cooling for 2 seconds. Remove with bare, unsanitized hand. Repeat if necessary.

Fermentation stuck at 1.038 for over a week on this brew. 9 days ago I added 1/4 tsp. of Amylase Formula. It is a 5 gallon batch. Now it has fermented too much. It's at 1.002. I didn't want it to go that low.

I was planning to bottle this weekend. Can I add pot meta and pot sorbate and still expect it to carb up? Probably not. What about just pot meta? Will that prevent bottle carbing?

Back