Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
When do you add the hops for dry hopping? I know fermentation needs to be over so shod I wait till a few days before bottling? Do I have to secondary or can I just dump a hop bag in the primary then later rack and bottle?

Wait until fermentation is complete. From there, there are two schools of thought on this. Some just use primary for dry hops and some rack to secondary and hop in there. I'm in the second group.
Regardless, wait until fermentation is done and leave for up to seven days. From there you can rack to a bottling bucket and bottle

I don't usually rack to a secondary. I will add my dry hops to primary BUT I will add them in a hop bag. I agree with ShinyBudda (why couldn't I come up with a great name like that!!??) wait until fermentation is done then add hops. Don't over do the dry hop time. I believe current research says max extraction is done after 3-4 days. If more hop flavor is desired, remove the hops and dry hop again with fresh hops.

Michael

So I'm just gonna add them for 3 or 4 days before bottling

Back