Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I am doing a hefe tomorrow, the recipe calls for me to boil 1.5 gals and steep the grain foe 30 min then strain into the brew kettle. My question is why can't I just steep the grain in the 2.5 gallons of water at 150 then take out the grain bag ,drain and go to a full boil?
Thanks, Steve:mug:

I am doing a hefe tomorrow, the recipe calls for me to boil 1.5 gals and steep the grain foe 30 min then strain into the brew kettle. My question is why can't I just steep the grain in the 2.5 gallons of water at 150 then take out the grain bag ,drain and go to a full boil?
Thanks, Steve:mug:

It sounds like you're doing a partial mash. Since conversion is pH dependent, you'll need to use the correct amount of water in the mash. Generally, 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, held at 150-155 degrees is perfect for mashing. Then, to get the sugars off of the grain, the grain is rinsed (sparged) with more water.

You wouldn't boil 1.5 gallons first- you'd bring that up to 165 or so, add the grain and let it sit for 45-60 minutes. Then either lift up the grain bag and pour 170 degree water over it (up to your boil volume), or dunk the grainbag in the bag of water.

That's just a guess, though. If you post your actual recipe, we can see if it's a partial mash or steeping recipe.

crush and steep 4oz malt in 1/2 gal water @150 for 30 min
strain the grain water into the brew pot. sparge the grains with 1/2 gal.water @150.(this is fresh 150 degree water not the grain tea correct) add water to the brew pot for a total volume of 1.5 gals. bring to a boil and remove from heat.
add 6 lbs of DME & 1 oz hops
add water to reach 2.5 gal
boil for 60 min
remove cool for 15 min. strain the cooled wort into the primary and add cold water to make 5 1/2 gals. pitch yeast when temp is below 70.
another question do I NOT use an ice bath once the 60min boil is over to reduce temp? then add the water and pitch?
Thanks again

crush and steep 4oz malt in 1/2 gal water @150 for 30 min
strain the grain water into the brew pot. sparge the grains with 1/2 gal.water @150.(this is fresh 150 degree water not the grain tea correct) add water to the brew pot for a total volume of 1.5 gals. bring to a boil and remove from heat.
add 6 lbs of DME & 1 oz hops
add water to reach 2.5 gal
boil for 60 min
remove cool for 15 min. strain the cooled wort into the primary and add cold water to make 5 1/2 gals. pitch yeast when temp is below 70.
another question do I NOT use an ice bath once the 60min boil is over to reduce temp? then add the water and pitch?
Thanks again

Four ounces of grain? Oh, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just do it however you planned to. That isn't worth worrying about a bit.

Yes, use the ice bath to get the wort to below 80 degrees, and then add cold water to get you under 70 degrees in the fermenter.

so i can put the grain in the bag into a full 2.5 gals and steep at 150 for 30 min then remove the bag and bring to a boil , then add the dme and boil for 60min?

so i can put the grain in the bag into a full 2.5 gals and steep at 150 for 30 min then remove the bag and bring to a boil , then add the dme and boil for 60min?

Yes, that would be fine.

I like to add 1/2 of the extract at the end of the boil, instead of all at the beginning, just to keep the color lighter and the flavor fresher, if boiling less than 5 gallons in the boil.

last couple of questions
do i need to move to a secondary after 7days or can i keep in the primary foe 3 weeks and leave for 3 weeks in the bottle correct
thanks for all your help

last couple of questions
do i need to move to a secondary after 7days or can i keep in the primary foe 3 weeks and leave for 3 weeks in the bottle correct
thanks for all your help

A hefeweizen is not commonly moved to a clearing vessel. Keeping it for 2-3 weeks in the fermenter is fine, and then bottling.

You sure it is only 4 oz of grain? That is like no recipe I've ever heard of.

Unless it is a very dark grain it will have almost no effect.

Back