Raisaination-To sanitize or not to sanitize, THIS is the question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orleans

Reaction score
Got a MoreBeer Raisination Sour Ale kit for Christmas. Been looking at previous posts about adding fruit. I'm gonna put it in the primary as I have generally stopped doing secondaries. The fermentation has slowed. What I am still iffy about is do I just chop the raisins a bit and dump them in (I've read that advice) OR should I add a little water, bring them to a boil, cool them, then add them (read that too). I'ld love to chop and dump but if anything might have a coat of natural yeast it seems like it would be raisins. They are in a box as well as being sealed in a plastic bag. I wonder if yeast is dealt with in the process of raisin making? Soooo- anyone care to chime in with any thoughts before I make the plunge? thanks, jm

You could boil them, cool and dump just the liquid in the primary and not the raisins. Or you could soak them in some vodka (small amount) and poor it all in.

Back