Oktoberfest Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessebymail

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if I could get a little help determining what style of beer this is. I made an Oktoberfest with ale yeast and there is a competition in a month I would like to enter it in. Im not sure where to put it im sure it would get knocked some points for ale character though. This will be my first time entering a competition just want some feedback. The recipe is
#4 german pilsner
#3 munich
#2 vienna
12 oz crystal 60
8 oz carared

1.5 oz hallertauer @ 60
.4 oz hallertauer @ 20

Wyeast 1056 2 packs

Mashed at 153
OG 1.049
FG 1.005
Fermented at 63 the first 3 days 65 another 3 days and 70 another 4 days.
The beers still young but I can tell its going to be one of my favorites but what style is it? Or will it be close enough to call an oktoberfest? It will be at 33 for a few weeks then gelatin and force carbed.

Looks like a fine beer to me. Interestingly, the brewery where I started my professional career does the same thing - Oktoberfest grist, fermented with 1056. People couldn't tell it wasn't a lager.

I say enter it in 3B and see how it flies.

Bob

Just got my results! Entered it in 3B oktoberfest and it did really well. Average score of 40. 3/4 judges noted the over the top munich and vienna characteristics which looking at the recipe an trying the beer I have to agree but it I like it. 1 judge liked the grist and gave me a 47! Lagering for a month and gelatin really made it seem like a lager I had no comments on the clarity or lack of sulfur notes but no certified judges either. I ended at 4th place and got a t shirt "yay!" lol 1056 is definitely a fair alternative if fermentation is controlled!

Back