Best fermentation temp for Safale 05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjward101

Reaction score
I have a beer (its a hybrid / lawnmower) fermenting now, and I pitched safale us 05. Its in a basement bathroom, dark, at 64 degrees F. I'm planning on a3 week stay in primary, before going to secondary for fruit additions. Is 64 okay for ferm?

The manufacturer says 58 to 74 is okay. My last batch was an American Wheat using US-05 was at 68, and it is great. I'm in your same situation now, using the same recipe with the fermenter now in the basement at 64 degrees. I looked around online and I think this temperature is okay.

I would be interested to see how yours turns out. Mine is 24 hours into fermentation and it is very active through the airlock. I plan on a primary of 3 weeks and then into bottles.

I've seen a lot of people say the ideal is 68 degrees. Once the fermentation takes off, the wort temperature will probably jump up to around 70 degrees.

Im curious to see how this one turns out too. I unavoidably let the temp go a little high when I was steeping my 1/2 lb of carapils...about 185. It tasted pretty good just before pitching, but I'm sure I picked up some tannins on the high temp.

Ooops, posted under wrong topic....

Well, anyway, got mixed up but this is what I had to say about this(RE: picked up tannins):
I guess I could just bottle it and leave it conditioning(save for when I've got a sore throat). But I was at first thinking that left in the fermenter, turn down the temp control a couple degrees and the yeast will end up killing the phenols. If bottled, this might not happen....

I don't have to have that carboy available.

Had 2 windows open looking up info and thought I was responding to comments in this topic:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer-made-my-mouth-throat-numb-380418/

Back