fermentation time for Kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Just curious - generally longer than an American or British ale yeast? Fermenting in low-mid 60s

Just curious - generally longer than an American or British ale yeast? Fermenting in low-mid 60s

What type? White Labs, Wyeast or other?

I have had great luck with both, but mainly use the White Labs for my Kolsch.

I would recommend 2 weeks in the primary, then 2 week in the secondary, with a crash cool the last two days to clear up a bit. Fermentation will be done in 7 usually.

One thing...watch our for primary blow offs! That Kolsch yeast can really go crazy. I would HIGHLY recommend you use a blow off tube.

Good luck!

What type? White Labs, Wyeast or other?

I have had great luck with both, but mainly use the White Labs for my Kolsch.

I would recommend 2 weeks in the primary, then 2 week in the secondary, with a crash cool the last two days to clear up a bit. Fermentation will be done in 7 usually.

One thing...watch our for primary blow offs! That Kolsch yeast can really go crazy. I would HIGHLY recommend you use a blow off tube.

Good luck!

I'm using White Labs. I was planning on leaving it alone for 2-3 weeks, but was curious if it needed closer to the 3 or 2. I had it in my cellar for the first 12 hours or so, but I thought it might be just a bit too cold down there (upper 50s/low 60s) so I moved it somewhere where the temp is a bit higher. I don't see airlock activity yet (~24 hours), but can see a layer of bubbles forming in the carboy (this is my first fermentation in a glass carboy, so I'm pretty excited to see the various stages).

I've only got 3.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy so I'm going to risk using just the airlock.

I'm using White Labs. I was planning on leaving it alone for 2-3 weeks, but was curious if it needed closer to the 3 or 2. I had it in my cellar for the first 12 hours or so, but I thought it might be just a bit too cold down there (upper 50s/low 60s) so I moved it somewhere where the temp is a bit higher. I don't see airlock activity yet (~24 hours), but can see a layer of bubbles forming in the carboy (this is my first fermentation in a glass carboy, so I'm pretty excited to see the various stages).

I've only got 3.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy so I'm going to risk using just the airlock.

This one really comes down to if you secondary or not. If you just leave in the primary, 3 weeks wont hurt. If you plan on racking to a secondary, I would move after 2 weeks.

Most Kolsch's are pretty simple on both the grain bill and the hops. I jst picked up a Kolsch specific book this week because I want to explore the style. Even in that book there is quite a range of opinions on fermentation times.

Best of luck, I think you will really like the yeast. I am curious on your recipe too. In any regards, the Kolsch beers that I have brewed have been a big hit.

and...it is fun watching! Check out this pick...

another.jpg

This one really comes down to if you secondary or not. If you just leave in the primary, 3 weeks wont hurt. If you plan on racking to a secondary, I would move after 2 weeks.

Most Kolsch's are pretty simple on both the grain bill and the hops. I jst picked up a Kolsch specific book this week because I want to explore the style. Even in that book there is quite a range of opinions on fermentation times.

Best of luck, I think you will really like the yeast. I am curious on your recipe too. In any regards, the Kolsch beers that I have brewed have been a big hit.

I'm actually brewing an Altbier with the Kolsch yeast - I couldn't wait for the White Labs Alt yeast to be released since I want to lager it for a little while and I need to rely on my naturally cold garage for that (and it's not going to stay that cold for too much longer). This is my first experiment with lagering - I was planning on racking the beer to a secondary once fermentation was done and then cold storing it in my garage for a little while (2-4 weeks?)

Though its not a Kolsch, here's my recipe if you're interested (it's a partial mash, partial boil):

for a 3.5 gallon batch:
OG = 1.052
SRM = 13.3
IBUs = 39.6

2 lbs Pilsner malt
1 lbs Munich II
8 oz German Pale malt
2 oz German Chocolate Wheat malt
2 lbs X-Light DME (add last 15 minutes of boil)
1 oz German Spaltz (5%) - 60 min
0.5 oz German Spaltz (5%) - 30 min

I don't think I answered you well on this one...

From an overall standpoint, it is really about the same as 1056 and a couple of the different British Ale yeasts I have used timewise. I mainly use Wyeast British Ale 1098 for British, and both 1056 and 1098 ferment out about the same time-frame for the same gravity beers, for the most part.

The main thing with the Kolsch is to pseudo lager it towards the end, not to help condition it, but to clarify it. What you will notice is that is takes on almost a wheat like appearance i you don't. You might even consider gelatin, but that is not really needed.

So, treat it like you would any "typical" Ale from a time standpoint, fermenting on the cool side, lower 60's if you can, but cold-crash the beer for a couple of days right before you bottle or keg if possible.

Good luck, and cheers!

:mug:

The main thing with the Kolsch is to pseudo lager it towards the end, not to help condition it, but to clarify it. What you will notice is that is takes on almost a wheat like appearance i you don't. You might even consider gelatin, but that is not really needed.

So, treat it like you would any "typical" Ale from a time standpoint, fermenting on the cool side, lower 60's if you can, but cold-crash the beer for a couple of days right before you bottle or keg if possible.

Good luck, and cheers!

:mug:

It was my understanding that Kolsch and Alts were traditionally lagered like any lager beer. I'm in no rush to bottle this, so any harm in extending the lager period?

I'm fermenting a Kolsch. I pitched wyeast 10 days ago and it's still at high krausen at 63 degrees, yours could take awhile...

I made a kolsch a few weeks ago and I fermented for 3 weeks and lagered it for 3 weeks as well. I don't use secondaries, except to lager, and I leave all of my beers in the fermenter for 3 weeks. One of the main points of the style is how clear it's supposed to be. Wyeast Kolsch yeast really dropped out once I lagered it. I can look through the better bottle and see the 12 oz'ers sitting in the back of the fridge.

I use White Labs yeast in my Kolsch, and my Alt as well, and I don't remember the fermentation taking any longer than any other style. I keep it in primary for about a week, rack it to secondary for a couple of weeks, and then lager it for 40 days (Don't ask why. That was just what the original recipe said, and it works well for both styles, so I don't mess with it!)
I've also never had to use a blow-off tube, either.

It was my understanding that Kolsch and Alts were traditionally lagered like any lager beer. I'm in no rush to bottle this, so any harm in extending the lager period?

No harm at all. As you have seen from the posts here, there are many thoughts and ways to brew a Kolsch. My feeling is basically this: it is a typical Ale fermentation process, however at the cooler end of the spectrum. The proper primary temp will depend on what strain of Kolsch yeast. That being said, 3 week fermentation timeframes are usually enough, especially since the recipes should not be complex from a malt and hop standpoint.

Lagering, or cold-crashing, is really geared towards cleaning up the beer visually, as the yeast is typically not a good floculating type. Lagering will not really condition the beer much more than what came out of the 3 week fermentation timeframe. This is much different than lagering a Lager, where conditioning at cold temps is crucial.

That being said, getting the yeast to drop out and to clear the beer is to style, and, lagering in general absolutely can't hurt!

No matter what, you will have a great, smooth beer. I find Kolsch's are among my favorite beers to brew because you can't hide imperfections, and, the beer is so smooth.

Thanks all for the good info.

My plan is to ferment in the plastic bucket for ~3 weeks, transfer to a glass carboy and lager/cold crash/condition for another 3 weeks, bottle, condition for yet another 3 weeks. Hopefully will be ready by April 1 or so.

Is three weeks in the bottle enough time or will I need longer after lagering it for a few weeks?

I have used WL029 for my last two Alts. I lager each for 3 weeks at 60°. I bottled 2/7 and sampled a bottle on 2/13. I had the expected low carbonation that I have gotten on all my other batches so in about two more weeks the bubbles should be there!

I bottle condition at 70° for about 3 weeks and all my beers have carbonated fine!

I have used WL029 for my last two Alts. I lager each for 3 weeks at 60°. I bottled 2/7 and sampled a bottle on 2/13. I had the expected low carbonation that I have gotten on all my other batches so in about two more weeks the bubbles should be there!

I bottle condition at 70° for about 3 weeks and all my beers have carbonated fine!

Well, I got a little impatient, so I racked the alt today (14 days in primary at ~60-62F; 2 days at ~67F). I moved it to an unheated area of the house that stays ~55F. My plan is to leave it there for a couple of days and then move it to the garage for a few weeks which is somewhere in the 38-43F range. I'll then bottle condition for 3-4 weeks.

Do you carb to 2.5 volumes?

I know all about the imatience. I think two weeks in primary is good! I am afraid of going too long in primary(off flavors) so two weeks is usually my max. then it's off to the secondary or bottle for finishing! I really do need to be more patient myself!

I am usually pretty close to 2.5 volumes(per beersmith). I have not studied a whole lot on carb volumes but since using "Beersmith" I have started getting more precise numbers. I generally use 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gall and 1 cup to 5.5 gallon batches.

Back