Using safbrew WB-06 for a high grav Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simple-stupid

Reaction score
Hey all,

So i'm brewing a weizenbock recipe from a brewpub (scaled down to 5gal) this weekend, and the projected OG is 1.081. I've never used dry yeast before, but this is the yeast that the brewpub uses, so my question is, do I just re hydrate before pitching, or do I make a starter since its a high OG? (even though i believe youre not supposed to use starters for dry yeast?)

Anything helps

Don't worry about a starter. When I use dry yeast at gravities above 1.060, I usually pitch 2 packets. I would rehydrate 2 packs of yeast for about 15 minutes, and pitch both packs into the wort. This will give you ample yeast quantity without too much aggravation or expense.

One more note... if you are getting your yeast in "bulk" from the brewery, then just make sure that you get at least 20 grams (3/4 ounce) of dry yeast. That would be roughly the equivalent of 2 11-gram packets.

Well I only have one packet right now, and would prefer to not go back to my lhbs, is there anything I could do? (besides just under pitching)

Well I only have one packet right now, and would prefer to not go back to my lhbs, is there anything I could do? (besides just under pitching)

I suppose you could make a starter with it. I know most people do not recommend starters for dry yeast, but I cannot think of any reason it would not work. Yeast is yeast, after all. If you rehydrate your yeast and make a 1 liter starter, I do not see any reason why it would not work just like liquid yeast. (If I am wrong here, someone with more experience in this area please correct me!) I think that the reason most brewers do not do this is because dry yeast is very affordable, and 2 packs is more than enough yeast for any 5 gallon batch you are likely to make.

If you do just under-pitch, it will probably still work, but I would give it plenty of oxygen at pitching, and an extra week or 2 to ferment/clear/condition. I underpitched my first big beer (a 1.080 Belgian Tripel) by using only one pack of dry yeast, and it still turned out fine, but funky yeast flavors from stressed out yeast are not considered unusual in Belgian styles!

Latest posts

Back