foam board for fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonasmdavidson

Reaction score
I want to build a fermentation chiller similar to the one designed by Ken Schwartz, however I am experiencing difficulties in finding polystyrene board. Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase some in northern California, or even online?

I couldn't find any of the thick stuff here in my town either.... Lowes (at least here) sells some that is 3/4" thick in 4x8 sheets... Its made by Dow, is blue, and has an R4 value. I wound up buying that and sandwiching 3 sheets together with glue. I've read that it's used in commercial construction and scraps can be had if you ask the right person, but I didn't try that route.

Good luck!

i found some at home depot. it was only 1½", but it works great. i built the "son-of-fermentation" chiller with it.

i'll post the name of the foam when i get home (if i remember)

On the construction high rise jobs I worked on they used 4' x 8' x 2" thick blue foam board as an insulating material before pouring light weight concrete above the mechanical rooms. It was rated at R 3.8 per/in.

Hey DeathBrewer; how far away are ya from High Street going into Alameda?

Back