First brew! Red ale maybe stuck!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjswift

Reaction score
Okay, I used a brewers best red ale kit following directions so to say, except pitched yeast when wort was just below 80degrees. It was popping airlock the next night, then died off today (third day). It started at 1.048 gravity, and today it was just at 1.02.

Of course I would love it if it would continue to ferment, and go below 1.02, but maybe it is stuck? I did taste the sample I extracted, and it did taste a little bit like flat beer, but a little water-y. I replaced the lid and airlock and am going to wait a few more days to check the gravity, but is there anything I can do if I get a 1.02 gravity in a few days? How long should I wait before I pitch more yeast, or should I just be happy with the 1.02, and get ready for the bottle stage?

Thanks for any helpful hints!

EDIT: Just read a post about watery tasting beer, and that it might be normal to taste like that because it is not carbonated, and is young. I am still going to wait a few more days to check the gravity, then decide if I just want to bottle it, or hopefully it will be dropping gravity points like I wish I was losing weight!

>>Repeat after me: The airlock is not the way to determine what is happening during fermentation.

Thanks...sometimes I need to read this as well....my last brown hardly bubbled the lock at all but final reading is fine...

Latest posts

Back