Wlp400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
I I used another aromatic yeast once, WLP300. My mistake was putting it in secondary. All of the characteristic banana flavor faded away in secondary. If I use this yeast and transfer to secondary will the same thing happen? I would like to dry hop a wit, should I just do it in prinary?

just brewed a wit with the 410. i wouldn't recommend moving to secondary for a few reasons. one, your yeast will drop more then you would want for a wit (cloudy is good). second, keeping a wit on the yeast is a good thing. it keeps the nice banana/clove esters more apparent and allows the yeast to clear up the off flavor's that typically come from brewing a wheat. i moved a wit to secondary and the ester's decreased noticeably. Lastly traditional wits are not dry hopped, that being said im a hop head and think hops are good in everything. let me know how it comes out. -cheers

yeah, gotta agree with basil chef.

Wit and Weizen are both styles that have no need for secondaries at all. Most styles don't but these two especially do better with a good stint on the primary cake followed by fresh consumption.

I am hoping to make a wit ipa. So I want that wheatyneas and yeast flavors of the wit but hoppy like an ipa. I was thinking of using malted wheat and pilsner, maybe little aromatic for complexity. Would that be a decent backbone for a hoppy profile or should I add a little bit of a dextrin malt to support the hops better?

dextrin wont support the hops more its more for body. the backbone is fine. i would search the forum or online to find out what other brewers have done to make a hoppy wit. but trust a fellow hop junky when i say a wit is great all by itself. if you really want a hoppy wit i would recommend citra and only hop it in the last 5-10 mins if you are going to hop in the boil. if not dry hop with them instead. Again, belgian wit strands are the !@#%, so fresh, sweet and spicy. please follow up on this beer when its done and let me know. who knows, if it is great maybe ill make one before summers end.

Back