Saison with T-58 Experiment at 85°F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Last night I brewed up a sample recipe from the book "Farmhouse Ales" (recipe here)

I don't really have access to any of the liquid yeasts here, so the recommended liquid ones for a saison are out.

However, on my last trip back to the states, I picked up some packets of T-58. I decided to let this rip at slightly higher than what most would consider tolerable temps (read this in the book as well, for better or worse). My daytime highs here at consistently in the 90s now and the night time only drops to 80ish

I rehydrated my yeast last night and pitched at 9:00pm at about 85 degrees.

I woke up this morning and I've never seen a fermentation this explosive! (Granted I've only done about 15 batches...) Right now, fermentation is still running at around the same temp of 85ish. It's so active it's almost blowing the liquid out of my S-type airlock, and this is with 2 gallons of extra head space! I've got my AC on for 80 degrees or so and I'm not turning it off for anything for the next 2 or 3 days.

I wanted to report this and then report back on how the final product tastes. I'm well aware I'm running the risk of higher alcohols, but I had a little extra money, extra grains, some time, and I wanted to see how it went. I plan on bottling it in about 2 weeks and I'll let it carb for a month or so before tasting it.

I'll report back then on the results!:mug:

Funny, I've got a Saison that's about 40 hours into primary and it also is sitting somewhere north of 80 degrees with T-58. Half of it is anyway, the other half has WLP568. We should remember to trade notes when this is all over.

Bacon,

Absolutely! As we speak (er...type?) mine looks like it's winding down the bulk of its furious activity. I expect it should be completely done fermenting in another day or two at these temps. I'll crack open the lid and see what it's at this weekend.

Good luck with your batch!

i just made my 1st wheat with t-58.....fast ferm at 80 deg and had a nice coriander/spice imparted from the yeast only.......

AlphaKing,

That's what I wanted to hear!!

Hopefully running it a little higher will enhance the overall yum factor and not turn it into nail polish remover. I'll see!

I brewed a Saison with T-58 last month. Finished the last bottle of it last night. I also brewed a Belgian Pale ale with the yeast cake.
I wasnt very happy with the end result. I fermented at 80 for 4 days and racked to secondary for 7 more. The T-58 was to spicy for a Saison IMO. I should have used S-33 looking back. But i wanted to use T-58 for the next 4 batches. I was planning on doing a Double then a Triple next.

I couldn't resist. I only waited a week with this in the bottle and cracked one open.

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH. I'm in love. I've brewed probably 15 batches of beer so far and I think this is one of my favorites. I'm very much anticipating this at a fully aged and ready to go state of awesomeness.

There were absolutely no higher alcohols and has a slight funk to it. It came out almost as I expected it would.

It finished at 1.010, with a starting gravity of 1.054. I wanted it to go a bit lower, but from what I read, for this yeast that's not a bad accomplishment.

I brewed a Saison with T-58 last month. Finished the last bottle of it last night. I also brewed a Belgian Pale ale with the yeast cake.
I wasnt very happy with the end result. I fermented at 80 for 4 days and racked to secondary for 7 more. The T-58 was to spicy for a Saison IMO. I should have used S-33 looking back. But i wanted to use T-58 for the next 4 batches. I was planning on doing a Double then a Triple next.

Interesting that you found T-58 too spicy for a saison, I was planning on trying that myself. I have tried the S-33 before in a saison, and it way WAY too clovey IMO for that style as well. Maybe your results will be different?

I found this interesting as I'm trying to switch to dry yeast more. I did not find on your recipe the mash temp, or was this extract. Thanks for reporting back. This gives me hope that this yeast may work.

Yup. I'm blind. Thank you

Not blind at all! It took me a bit to find that myself.

The book recommends a sacch rest for 60 mins at a range of 143-147 I believe (I don't have the book nearby as I'm on vaca in Tokyo). I decided to shoot for the midrange on that as it was my maiden saison voyage.

To mash out I basically brought the designated volume of water up to about 190-195 and let it sit for 15 minutes after a good stir up.

Good luck if you brew it up! :mug:

...To mash out I basically brought the designated volume of water up to about 190-195 and let it sit for 15 minutes after a good stir up...

I hope you have been having a few beers on holiday and meant to say 160-165 (unless you meant the water added was @ 190-195) :D

I hope you have been having a few beers on holiday and meant to say 160-165 (unless you meant the water added was @ 190-195) :D

Yes! The water was brought to 160-165ish in the tun. The pot was at 190-195ish!

Edit: That still doesn't sound right....

The pot was heated to 190-195 and dumped into the tun to reach 160-165.

There!

...I need more beer...

I may try using this yeast for a saison, however, I will probably add atleast 10% sugar to try to dry it out closer to 1.004. 1.010 seems a little too sweet for my tastes. Thanks again for reporting results.

Latest posts

Back