american honey apple wheat help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliethebum

Reaction score
a buddy of mine won't stop hassling me about brewing up a wheat beer here's what I'm thinking any tips would be greatly appreciated.
5.5# 2 row
4.5# wheat malt
.5# honey malt
.5#rice hulls
single infusion @ 152deg 60 min. mash out/ batch sparge @ 165deg
safale American ale yeast (s-05)
primary for 14 days @ 65deg, rack onto 3 lb Fuji apple puree for 7 days before bottling

I would appreciate some advice on a hop schedule for this style, and any other specialty grains y'all might think would go well with it.

based on thunderworms 2nd place best of show recipe, dropped the munich for honey malt

Looks interesting. I wouldn't go to crazy on the hops so the wheat, honey, and apple really take the forefront and the hops kind of blend in. maybe a small addition of .5 oz at 60 min and another .5 oz at 20 min should do it. That is, of course, if you really don't want a strong hops profile. For wheat beers I personally like Saaz but pick a hops that will achieve the profile you want and go from there. this should help
https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/
Cheers!

Sounds good I'm really not looking for much of a hop profile just enough to balance out the sweetness of the honey. Thanks for the input

Will do. It's going to be a while before I get home to brew a batch but I'll post my results when I can!

So I just racked to the secondary on 2.5 lbs of fuji apples diced fine. Nice cloudy straw yellow color, hydro sample tasted fantastic, smoothe and tangy, not much honey characteristic but that may come out with some bottle conditioning. Ended up using an oz of czech saaz @ 60 min. And bry 97 west coast ale yeast fermentation temp. 64-66 deg.

That sounds tasty!!! just take good tasting notes so if the honey notes don't come through you bump up the honey malt. you could also consider adding actual honey if you want to bring up the profile a bit more. I would try bumping up the honey malt to about 7-8% first and go from there. Eventually you will perfect the recipe and get it exactly how you want it.

Cracked my first bomber of this last night and its very... Meh. Definite tartness and not much else from the apples, very slight, hardly detectable( to me anyhow) honey notes. It finishes very clean and is quite refreshing but rather bland. I'm going to give this one another shot without the fruit infusion and try a less flocculant yeast. Maybe a kolsch strain. It cleared up an awful lot in the secondary

I sure do appreciate the advice. Quick question- farmhouse has german magnum on sale for like 9 bucks a pound so I picked a couple up. Would you think it's a viable option for a wheat? I understand it's a super clean bittering option.

Back