Just brewed Wirbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn

Reaction score
This was a Brewers Best kit. My fourth batch to brew. A few more steps to this kit. Also it was my first use of my homemade wort chiller. Went pretty well.

I've never had a WirBier, but here as a shot of my Witbier!

IMAG0334.jpg

Witbier is ok, wirbier is where it is at... Ok so I'm not so good at proof reading my posts. Your beer looks great. Good color. Mine seems a little darker, but usually does look that way when in carboy. Is your beer a kit or all grain?

Witbier is ok, wirbier is where it is at... Ok so I'm not so good at proof reading my posts. Your beer looks great. Good color. Mine seems a little darker, but usually does look that way when in carboy. Is your beer a kit or all grain?

All Grain.

FYI Extract recipes usually turn out darker than AG recipes for light beers due to the extra processing they get. It's pretty normal.

Some people use the lightest extract they can find and also do late extract additions to try and keep the color as light as possible.

Homercidal said:
FYI Extract recipes usually turn out darker than AG recipes for light beers due to the extra processing they get. It's pretty normal.

Some people use the lightest extract they can find and also do late extract additions to try and keep the color as light as possible.

Most extract batches have you add extract as soon as you are up to a boil. Would it be acceptable to wrist and add with 15 minutes remaining in the boil. Would this significantly affect your IBUs?

Add just enough extract to your boil volume to achieve a gravity similar to that of a full boil pre-boil gravity, ~1040-1050ish, then add the rest of the Malt Extract at the 10-15 min mark. This will increase your Hop utilization, and will make your brew slightly lighter in color. Also use carbon filtered water, RO, or Distilled water, as all of the minerals that were in the original water used to make your extract will be present in your wort. That is to say if you are using your tap water, then your mineral/ion content will be that of your tap water plus that of your Malt Extract which can have a significant impact on flavor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Back