Used a SOCK to filter my grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
So I did my second All Grain batch on saturday and I had a buddy come by to see the AG process.

(I use a converted Cooler MLT and an SS braid)

My first runnings went great and then I added my sparge water, mixed thoroughly, let sit for 10min. While gathering my second runnings my line clogged. I thought I got my first stuck sparge so I mixed a little more and it flowed freely until it slightly stuck again, mixed a little more and it flowed freely (or so I thought) I realized I was dumping a thick mixture of mash through my line!!! I didnt have any hop socks, strainers, caulenders... anything! (broke in a bachelor pad). Luckily my awesome SWMBO just bought me a pack of fresh socks. So I filled up 2 tube socks with grain trying to filter my runnings! It was pretty funny looking.

I carefully added the second runnings to the BK and thought I avoided a lot of the grains but NOPE!!! At the end of the day when cleaning, my SS braid had come off of my bulkhead and my BK had at least 5 pounds of grain. On top of that my siphon clogged when transffering from my cubes to my fermenters so no telling how much grain go into those before I realized it haha

All in all it will still be beer and if nothing else my friend learned how NOT to do All Grain hehehe. I thought it was kinda funny so I felt like sharing. :mug:

I use my SWMBO's heavier winter type knee high nylons....a little thicker and tighter weave....they work great.....and I've bought a lot worse than womens stockings!

Back