Herms - Fly Sparging question - Can you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
I used 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain to start out my mash. After it reached temp, I doughed in. As I began to recirculate, the grains were still at or a little above the water level, leaving me no cushion of water between where my sparge arm was returning water to. I'll be brewing again, should I consider using more water so that I have at least 1 inch of water over my grains?

How much dead space do you have under your false bottom? You need to add that much more water to you mash.

How much dead space do you have under your false bottom? You need to add that much more water to you mash.
AWESOME!!! That was my problem! Holy crap, no wonder I could barely move the paddle... lol

You also need to consider the hose and HERM's coil volume as well. I think most people add a quart for both depending on the size and length of the tubing and hose.

Back